FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

So which turntable?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
vinyljunki View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinyljunki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So which turntable?
    Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 9:00pm
Ive been looking around at what "the best" turntable is for around £4000. Yes I understand best is very subjective...however

Interestingly, the Rega P10 gets rave press reviews but gets put down quite a bit (by possibly people that havent heard one) by turntable enthusiasts as "its just a Rega"

Yes Rega do have a bit of a stigma as a budget company (I have owned a planar 3 myself for nearly 30 years, although it very modified) but does the P10 deserve to be cold shouldered by the VPI, Clearaudio, L*nn etc crowd? 

Any thoughts from owners or anyone that has had the chance to demo? Yes I will get to demo a few when lockdown rules change. Im looking for a bit of a shortlist....and yes the P10 is on it :-)

Thanks
Bill
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 9:26pm
£4K will give you a pretty big choice.
Good luck with the search...
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
vinyljunki View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinyljunki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by CageyH CageyH wrote:

£4K will give you a pretty big choice.
Good luck with the search...

Probably too much choice and will be difficult to get to listen to them all.

I know the L*nn LP12 is in the price bracket but its the basic model. Having never heard a L*nn I can imagine it to be a lush laidback sounding deck but could be wrong. I would want a bit of life but not sterile....as I play lots of Jazz to underground Techno (yes I am one of those)

So the P10 could be what I need, however the list could comprise of...

Clearaudio Performance DC with Tracer arm
VPI Prime Scout
Gold Note Giglio
Bryston BLP-1
Thorens TD 1601

It may even turn out im happy with my modded planar 3 and save myself a lot of cash lol

ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 10:12pm
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Suggs View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 7:19am
I would go for the best that you can afford from the Origin Live line, both their turntables and arms offer exceptional value for money and easily compete with models costing way more from other manufacturers IMO. Their performance is exactly what you want judging from your description of the sound that you like
Derek
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 4:04pm
No real recommendation. I'll just say I wouldn't spend that amount of money on anything without being able to at least demo it first. 

One thing I would consider is the practical operation of the turntable and whether certain things about it would annoy you. 

I know a couple of people that have dumped very fiddly turntables because they had quirks that simply became too annoying in their environment over time. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Oblongus View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oblongus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021 at 7:30pm
Yeah, I think Rega are unfairly maligned as just a 'plug n play' manufacturer. I know their unwilligness to include VTA adjustment gets up the noses of those who think it's critical and think TT's should be infinitely tweakable. But I think they're impeccably engineered, it just depends whether you like what their low-mass design philosophy gives you - fast, detailed presentation, tending towards the lean.

I don't wide experience to speak authoritatively but I'd second the recommendation of Origin Live,  but I think you'll find it hard to find a complete dud at your budget.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic