FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

So which turntable?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
vinyljunki View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinyljunki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 9:31pm
So after a good few weeks, where am I? In that time I tested 4 phono stages (3 slee and 1 Leema), 2 decks, 2 PSUs and 2 cartridges.

So how did the Rega P10 fair? Well in the end, It actually fell short of my modified Rega Planar 3!!!! Its not something I expected and took me a long time to pull myself away from convincing myself the P10 was better when it wasnt.

It has since gone back and my plans have change slightly. I have put in an order for an Audiomods Series 6 arm. I will add this to current deck and evaluate if I need to change the TT down the line

The RB3000 on the P10 was a better tracker though. I do still have 1 or 2 issues with my current deck. 

Philmack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Philmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 6:54pm
I had the OL Conqueror MK3C tonearm on an Avid Sequel SP TT and Benzmicro Gullwing SLR cart, I have to say it was a fantastic arm which elevated the the Sequel up a few notches in comparison to the SME 309 that it replaced. 
I am looking at a second arm for my Nottingham Analogue TT which I may get another OL arm as I think they are very good for the money.

Phil
Nottingham Analogue Space 294, Wand+, Hana SH, Slee Accession M, Custom PSE 300B mono blocks, Ascension speakers, Slee Lautus ICs, Atlas Speaker cables.
Oblongus View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oblongus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 10:30pm
No, afraid I haven't, in fact the only thing I have compared it against is the Rega P25/rb600 which it replaced, and it blows that out of the water, but then so it should, it's several times the price and is 20 years younger.

I might at some point install the rb600 on the Resolution, and find out whether the TT or tonearm is more responsible for the improvement that I'm hearing.
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinyljunki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by Oblongus Oblongus wrote:

Originally posted by vinyljunki vinyljunki wrote:

What Origin live package do you have?

I picked up a new old stock Resolution and Conqueror quite recently for 1/2 price. Even though it's capable of doing much more than the rest of my system will currently allow it to do I was still very impressed with the difference it made, all with the same cartridge I had been using before.

But spec-wise you don't get much more with the Resolution over the Calypso, considering the £1000 price difference. They share the same motor, bearing and platter, you just get an extra layer of chassis dampening and an upgraded armboard, IIRC.

I've heard good things about the platter and power supply upgrades, but they're not cheap either.

Wow, now thats a good deal. The conqueror is a serious arm. As I say, I have an eye on an Illustrious mk4 (next one down to the Conqueror). What are your impressions on it? I dont suppose you have compared it to an rb3000?
Oblongus View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oblongus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by vinyljunki vinyljunki wrote:

I picked up a new old stock Resolution and Conqueror quite recently for 1/2 price. Even though it's capable of doing much more than the rest of my system will currently allow it to do I was still very impressed with the difference it made, all with the same cartridge I had been using before.

But spec-wise you don't get much more with the Resolution over the Calypso, considering the £1000 price difference. They share the same motor, bearing and platter, you just get an extra layer of chassis dampening and an upgraded armboard, IIRC.

I've heard good things about the platter and power supply upgrades, but they're not cheap either.
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinyljunki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 12:24pm
Oblongus View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oblongus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 9:43am
The only criticism I ever hear about Rega is that some find their sound a bit lean and lacking in meat but if you're not finding that to be the case then it sounds like you'd be more than happy living with a P10, especially given you have some recommended upgrades to try out.

To be honest (and speaking as an Origin Live owner myself), with Rega's bigger production runs bringing costs down, I wouldn't expect an Origin Live to outdo a Rega at a comparable price point.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic