FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Harshness, Clicks and Pops

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 3:15am
So far, I've talked about phono stages and the different approaches.

1. The "afterthought" in a cheap amp (it'll be active!)

2. The "bandwagon" interstage passive (faults as described)

3. The fast-active (very rare)

The "afterthought" is just about guaranteed to obliterate the music in favor of record surface noise.

The "bandwagon" is something that I've built on multiple occasions and has its own built-in partial "scratch filter."

The fast-active passes the lot without modifying the scratches, clicks, pops, or music. If the rest of the system was equally-well designed, then it's doubtful you will hear the scratches, clicks, and pops because the music dominates.

But what happens if the rest of the system was NOT equally-well designed? And how can that happen?

Early on in the 1970s, Matti Otala was tasked with investigating why amplifiers could sound bad. Philips recruited him from university. He later wrote a paper on it for the AES (1972).

I don't remember anything about it in Britain at the time, and I'd only heard of the basic gist, but it was sufficient for me to understand the prerequisites of fast-active design.

The batten was also taken-up by Walt Jung and associates in the American "Audio" recreational magazine. In several editions, Jung went straight over the reader's heads in explaining what made amplifiers corrupt the signal.

Again, such things never featured in any of the British technical press, and so it was a matter of piecing together the imaginations in my head and hoping I'd got it right.

It has only been the last 22 years since the Internet has made it possible to visit "other worlds," and with thanks to those who archived such works, the British designer (me?) has been able to connect-up the missing pieces.

It was with great relief that I learned I'd been on the right road and had now found a wealth of techniques to further my interest in better audio. Most British designers were of fine reputation and had done their best in "blindfolded" Britain. Those with access to American information were making better amps.

Douglas Self had been our only connection with the professional design world, and John Linsley Hood had also done his best.

By the early 80s, Paul Miller had started testing high-frequency amplifier performance. With his listening panel, he could mate-up the listener's reports with the technical test data. He found that amplifiers having poor high-frequency control sounded spitty and noisy.

With all the above information, I was able to rate my chances of making fast-active phono stages. I knew the ones I sold to owners of "sensible" amplifiers would be the winners. I became highly suspicious of hi-fi bullsh*t. I knew the market would never be massive but also realised that I would never compete big-time as a one-man-band.

The above knowledge served me well in developing a headphone amplifier. The Solo has changed little in its 20-year history. Auditioning using vinyl records, if hearing harshness, clicks, and pops, I knew the design was wrong, and I must try harder.

Again, the Proprius, the lack of harshness clicks, and pops told me the product would be acceptable. It has significantly helped in the development of the proposed DAK kit amplifier. It always highlights stability problems and enables me to troubleshoot a circuit. Even though I do a lot of auditioning using digital files (for convenience), I could not imagine developing highly musical line-level and power amplifiers without the transparency of the fast-active vinyl source.

I started writing this topic because it would seem new people are joining us, hoping to solve their vinyl issues, but without much, if any, understanding of the systems they've chosen.

Some of the vast mid-market amplifiers' choices are being equipped with whistles and bells, often featuring microprocessors and logic chips to select sources. To me, this is a backward step that can only result in some form of uneducated revolt against the electronics art my career holds so dear.

The loaner program might now be a bad idea. I liken it to the misfortune of Eddie Hall, always being challenged to a fight each time he walks out of his front door.

With the flood or dumping of - dare I say it - highly technological looking amplifiers from China - subsidised by the Chinese Communist Party (HMRC is watching), which are little more than convenience electronics made to look hi-fi, it is only a matter of time before the conjurers trick (the one I mentioned earlier in this topic) stops working.

This conjurer's trick of fast-active circuitry is one I stand up for because, in effect, it isn't a trick - that's my sense of humour: the no-cheating method of preserving the vinyl signal such that it may be passed on by equally fast, carefully considered circuitry to obtain almost faultless vinyl reproduction.

Next time I hope to discuss the difficulties and solutions required for the smallest of signals
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 11:57am
High frequency power supply

Although it cannot exist in wire or cables, because it cannot be scientifically proven to the satisfaction of a university lecturer, turned cancel-culture troll, who the uneducated government ASA department believed - high-frequency noise paths have existed in printed circuits - which are "printed wires."

Being bullied by the courts, waving-about possible fines for disobedience, I decided my financial situation was more critical.

Are boards full of chips accompanied by 0.1uF ceramic capacitors for no apparent reason?

I often wonder about detractors' legality using uneducated government departments to leg-down British industry, but being small-fry, I have no voice. However, I do here, and I will continue to belittle those who disrespect physics laws and hopefully do my bit to prevent the British establishment from returning to Babylon.

It is a long path from and back to the power supply for high-frequency signals. You might prefer to think of the printed circuit traces as like the spring in a spring line reverb. It is probably one of the best analogies I can make.

A drawing of a spring looks like the symbol used for an inductor. PCB tracks, at high frequencies, become inductive. They might be thought of as a solid rod at DC and audio frequencies, but that rod gradually morphs into a spring with increasing frequency.

Now, if you would like to picture an old computer board, you would see one 0.1uF ceramic capacitor near each chip. These cancel the effect of the spring reverb. When a chip rapidly switches a function, it would resonate down the spring line and modulate the other chips voltages. With old TTL, a switching action consumed sufficient current that without a 0.1uF "cancel" capacitor, the glitch often did cause other chips to switch falsely.

The small duration charge on the 0.1uF capacitor was sufficient to supply the chip's power for the switching step's finite time. It was small-enough to recharge instantly to absorb the next action, and therefore the 0.1uF capacitor IS the high-frequency power supply.

An alternative explanation can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decoupling_capacitor#Transient_load_decoupling
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 2:17pm
What's worrying in a world full of misinformation is that the truth can be easily trashed, especially if not supported by the crowd.

You must accept that audio signals have nothing at all in common with high-frequency signals, or that is what is expected of you. It serves a purpose, but a very dishonest one.

Musical hearing is in the musician's dominion, as if by special decree. The audio design engineer can only have a musical hearing if also a musician. I cannot read or play music, and the less said about my singing voice, the better.

However, if I wire the ground connections of op-amps to a "ground mecca" on a printed circuit board where the path is already catered for by a solid ground-plane and say I can hear the difference it makes, I am lumped with the lunatic fringe.

I insist the grounds are wired in such a way on every Accession MC, but I don't on an Accession MM. It isn't that the two use a different kind of electricity; it is because my senses cannot detect any difference once past an order of magnitude.

Measurement techniques coupled with the prescribed notion of how things work have limited the test engineer to measuring the stuff of Harold Black's day. They are mostly 100 years out of date! Opinions - many imaginary - have multiplied, while measurement technology has stagnated. It is not that some of these phenomena are fanciful - world governments dictate that EMC must be proven, don't they?

The stagnating measurement gurus, on whose equipment we produce product specifications, is so outdated that the ultimate proof of a product's compliance can only occur in a government-approved compliance lab! Come on, guys, surely you can do better than that?

patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Some of the vast mid-market amplifiers' choices are being equipped with whistles and bells, often featuring microprocessors and logic chips to select sources. To me, this is a backward step that can only result in some form of uneducated revolt against the electronics art my career holds so dear.

At some point I will be shopping for a new amp to replace my current integrated amp. It will probably be awhile before I can get the new amp but I do look at what's on the market from time to time. The big trend I am noticing is multiple digital inputs and many features I will not use because I prefer separate components for those things or don't need them. Sometimes "basic" features like tone controls and REC output are also left out.

I also wonder how those bells and whistles affect long-term product reliability. It makes me think of the "mini" system with combined CD changer/cassette/radio I had back in college. Lots of features but poor reliability after a year or two when things started breaking down. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 5:34am
References are usually included at the end of every scholarly article. I would dearly love to substantiate my recent posts with a revealing research article from an old Wireless World issue, but Big-Tech, in the form of Mozilla Firefox, deleted it. It is comprehensive at removing all you wanted to keep, including its browsing history! If I were a budding researcher, I would seriously avoid Firefox! So why do I use it? I use it for its web developer tools.

There is substantiated proof that

A capacitor has resistance and inductance.
A resistor has capacitance and inductance.
An inductor has resistance and capacitance.
A wire has inductance.
A PCB trace has inductance.

The scholarly article I wanted to feature here plainly shows that most wire and PCB trace sizes used have an inductance of 20nH per inch.

Although audio frequencies may be classed as DC, in that such small values change absolutely nothing, what they do is act on radio frequencies.

Radiofrequency interference is insidious, and the active components used to make an audio circuit are very capable of working at radio frequencies. Now, if you're unsure of that, you need to look at plenty of op-amp bode plots and plenty of power amplifier bode plots. The transition frequencies are also quoted in the tabulated sections of datasheets.

Capacitors are placed across circuits to attenuate radio frequencies, but lead length places inductance in series near to transition frequencies. The sum between capacitance and inductance often cancels the effect of the capacitance.

A capacitor used to stabilise a circuit can therefore be rendered useless. The answer has been to use leadless capacitors as used in surface mount construction. Unfortunately, the printed circuit traces then take the place of the missing leads.

Chips in digital logic are often pinned to reduce the need for long printed circuit traces, and in some cases, op-amps have featured optimised pinning to reduce inductive trace lengths.

If an op-amp "takes off" (becomes unstable) due to radio frequency interference (which is at an all-time maximum right now), then it will not perform a proper function at audio frequencies. There will be very high-frequency modulation on the audio signal waveform. Still, we have detractors who will say the audio is still audio, often pointing at multiplexing as their proof.

Even if the oscillations do not change the audio signal, they affect the power supply because they all use electrolytic capacitors to some degree for energy storage. The capacitance alone is not the problem. The inductance is the problem.

The foils are bifilar-like wound, and it is therefore claimed that the only inductance an electrolytic capacitor contains is due to its lead length. In that case, a radial 1000uF electrolytic should be purely capacitive well-up into the MHz. Unfortunately, it isn't, and somebody is a bit economical with the truth.

To prove otherwise, you'd need a signal generator, 'scope, and a suitably sized resistor. Electrolytic capacitors cannot do high frequencies!

Electrolytic power supply capacitors get hot when the circuit they supply oscillates - where the output swings to each supply polarity. That indicates resistance, and the resistance can only come from inductance.

The above explains why localised decoupling is used and becomes the power supply at high frequencies.

What usually causes an audio amplifier to oscillate, which would otherwise be stable, is its power supply. Therefore, a power supply is not just a black-box you wire to a circuit - it is present inside the circuit too - or needs to be.

The takeaway from this post is not that audio circuits go high-enough in frequency to be influenced by inductance, but that stimulus due to RF encroachment, or an unstable active device, can, and will, make the power supply under-perform. When storage devices get hot (or warmer than they should), they do not work correctly and ultimately fail.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 6:31am
In-band artifacts

Distortion cannot be denied. If you have a computer audio player with a proper "visualisation oscilloscope," you will see non-sinusoidal waveforms. Sometimes they are very one-sided, and that one sided-ness swaps polarity with pitch. If we could crunch the numbers, we might find that a particular note has its wave-shape due to harmonics.

Music is harmonics. Notes on instruments are harmonic and harmonise with other notes, so do voices!

Could it be possible that some harmonics are beyond our hearing capabilities? Knowing that square-waves can be broken down to a sinusoidal fundamental, accompanied with every odd harmonic, it is conceivable.

The weird thing is that we can differentiate between instruments and voices because of their harmonic content, even though that harmonic content would seem to be far beyond our hearing range. Some are beyond our hearing range.

I shall now quote Keith Armstrong, a recognised EMC expert:

"In-band intermodulation products are inevitable when there are two or more frequencies (which there always are) and any non-linearities (which there always are).

Interestingly, noise with fundamental frequencies that are outside the audio range ... can intermodulate with audio harmonic distortion products that are above the audio range, causing in-band noises to arise.

The thing with intermodulation 'artefacts' is that they are completely alien to the original waveforms, so even small amounts may sound objectionable even though similar amounts of harmonic distortion products might sound acceptably low."

In other words, the sound we hear can differ from one product to another because of distortion.

It is rather unfortunate but commonplace that distortion increases with frequency. And this happens because of transition frequency, where an amplifier cannot amplify anymore because it cannot slew voltage fast enough.

Most amplifiers are distortion specified at 1kHz. A "pattern-part" differential IPS amplifier (just like the equivalent circuit of an op-amp) has rising distortion simply because the stabilisation network brings down the high frequencies to unity gain before it runs out of phase margin.

As frequency increases, open-loop gain reduces, and so negative feedback also decreases, and with it, its distortion reducing capability.

Therefore, distortion increases with frequency. It is typically 4 to 5 times greater at 10kHz, and 8 to 10 times greater at 20kHz.

Although your hearing becomes less sensitive with increasing frequency, the distortion can be heard as artifacts at frequencies you can easily hear. This is due to intermodulation with harmonic distortion. Just about every human being who has ever stood on a busy street with a traffic queue has heard different internal combustion engines' beat frequencies. What "falls out" is multiple lower frequencies.

Radio broadcasting could not exist if not for this phenomenon. By mixing one frequency with another, transmission frequencies above human hearing are brought down to become audible.

If there were no distortion, then there could be nothing in the way of the music. All music would sound the same on all products - except it doesn't.

And now, if we step back and look at things like instability, which obviously cannot be heard on its own, and we add distortion to that - which will always exist - then the detractor looks a little stupid.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 10:08am
A stroke of genius?

Like I said earlier, we didn't get American magazines. It was news to me that Mr. Vereker's power amplifier was 'intentionally narrow-band,' as its component values tell the opposite story!

The design does the utmost to prevent output stage oscillation, and the base stoppers are as discussed in the 70s amplifier topic. Some power amplifiers need them, while other designs might not.

I can't say the same for all amplifiers, though. If an output stage is prone to spurious oscillation, or the margin for stability isn't as good as it should be, then a fast transient can result in small repetitive moments of chaos.

If our source is vinyl, and even the best records have surface/groove imperfections, moments of chaos resulted in exaggeration - we hear a louder click or pop than the real amplitude of that click or pop.

In the sixties, the 'silicon rush' was seen as a cow for milking, and non-technical entrepreneurs soon discovered they too could make amplifiers.

All it needed was an 'early chip type module,' and Japanese industry was quick to oblige. Whether the modules were inherently unstable or the entrepreneurs were ignorant about how to implement them is moot. The fact that they 'smoked' if the user accidentally unplugged a speaker betrays instability. I speak from personal experience - these amplifiers reproduced clicks and pops far better than the music!

It must have been very annoying to proper amplifier manufacturers, having to compete with such upstarts. If they'd known, they might have been able to use my argument here, trounced them, and made vinyl so listenable that CD would have had a hard time competing. It wasn't to be.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic