FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Bookshelf speaker recommendation for Proprius

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
goloba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goloba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bookshelf speaker recommendation for Proprius
    Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 9:23pm
Hi there,
I'm running a REGA P25 turntable with an Ortofon MC 25FL system, Accession MC, Proprius amps and Epos ES11 speakers.
It's not that I'm unhappy with these speakers but I don't have a comparison and after 20 years I think it's time for something new.
The main problem is my room, I'm forced to listen quite near in a 1,50 metres triangle (distance between speakers and speaker to my ears).
Music is mostly rock-related stuff, some jazz, a little bit electronica, hardly to no classic.
The speakers should be new or used if the model is still in production and not older than 5 years with a price range around 1.000 Euro, available in other colours than black or white (wood veneer preferred) and the company should still exist with a distributor in Germany or at least Western Europe.
I hope my parametres make it easier to keep the list manageable ;-)
I discovered Phonar Veritas M4 Next some days ago and they are my favorites at the moment but they seem to be quite unknown. Maybe someone here knows them

Thanks for your help!
Best regards,
Alex
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 9:50pm
Have a look at Mark Audio drivers. They have fully built Sota speakers or DIY kits, whatever is preferred.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 10:20pm
https://www.kjfaudio.com/product/ergo-ix/#pair-of-ergo-ix-cabinets

I just happened upon this, but I know nothing about them.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
goloba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goloba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 9:29am
Thanks but I'm not a talented craftman so DIY is nothing for me.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 10:26am
There is a speaker designed for that exact purpose. It is the Stirling LS3/5A.

It is the only speaker I have ever known which is able to scale the stereo image - given care in placement - such that it can even be mounted either end of a desk within inches of you, it will still do its job.

Otherwise, it can be stood on stands - brought out of the corners - and given the right source, performs holography, and I'm not being flippant!

Don't buy the kit. Phone Doug Stirling and get him to build you a pair. They're built "handed" by the way.

You will also be able to replace the terminal links with the (bargain) Spatia links, and be very surprised!
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
goloba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goloba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 12:25pm
Hi Graham,
thanks for your recommendation. I heard some good things about the LS3/5a (unfortunately never the speakers itself) but the design is not really my cup of tea especially without grille what I prefer. I have read the manual and they should stand at least 2,2 metres apart and maybe they could be not loud enough for me inspite of "nearfiled listening" (my neighbour knows involuntarily my music taste and he doesn't like it)
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 8:33pm
Not loud enough?

https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/about/aylesbury-road-show-2014-news.html

The speaker used in nearfield listening in outside broadcast trucks relaying concerts of all kinds on radio and TV around the UK.

The speaker used on broadcast industry workstations - they're not 2.2m wide.

Developed by a chief engineer of the BBC in the days when they threw big money at projects.

They had this lot playing live in one studio https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Symphony_Orchestra

While they ran back and forth to the studio playing the recording on the LS3/5A.

You asked for a good bookshelf speaker? Confused

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic