FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Sennheiser HD250 linear II - Replacement Pads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MDF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sennheiser HD250 linear II - Replacement Pads
    Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 6:37pm
Has anyone successfully used another model's ear pads for the HD250 linear II. I can't seem to source any from sennheiser spares websites and wondered if other models shared them?
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 8:44pm
@Ash is our resident expert on this IMO. Some years back he sold me a refurbished pair of 250/II's that I was using enjoting less than five minutes ago.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 9:26pm
Over the years, all the Sennheiser spares for the HD250 have gradually been discontinued and are not simple to buy anymore, if available at all. The prices will be higher if private sellers have any. HD250 pads are acoustically sealed and are not simple to cut open and restore. My preference was always for the HD540 Reference II model, as it sounded better overall to my ears and the velvet pads were straightforward to cut open and install handmade foam rings then stitch up if desired.

HD250 and HD540 models use the same earpad outer diameter and identical lockrings so the pads are completely interchangeable. Using thickened 540II velvet pads on the HD250 improves the sound to my ears but you partially lose the acoustic seal so sound can move between inside and outside. Having a semi-open design instead of a closed design would render the headphone unusable for certain applications where sound leakage can't be tolerated.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
MDF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 8:20pm
Thanks for the advice. There are also replacement pads (not Sennheiser) available at audio sanctuary. My originals are still pretty good ( I always keep them in the box when not in use and they are not my most used pair) but I am thinking of getting a backup pair to be future proof.
Delfalex View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Delfalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by MDF MDF wrote:

There are also replacement pads (not Sennheiser) available at audio sanctuary.

Hi there, I just received a pair of them last week and they were pretty terrible (unfortunately one can't return them after use etc). 

Their profile is different from the originals (shallower), the pleather kind of squeaks when one rubs them and resulting sound I'd imagine bearing similarities to that of using a seashell! Essentially they were really yucky!

So I've ended up hunting down full headphones sets that have earpads in good condition (eg >32mm pleather top - base of fixture ring). It's nearly as difficult as finding the full velour versions pads for the HD540ii's (Ps thanks Ash for your previous advice on that model).

The soft cushioning and slack pleather of the originals do so so much to seal off and deliver their designed sound.

I think the HD520ii use a similar earpad however this is just from looking rather than actually fitting.

Best of luck!

Alex

Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 11:04pm
Most aftermarket earpads for HD250 and HD540 models will lack the qualities of the originals and consequently the optimum sound abilities of the headphone are also lost.

HD540 Reference II was the most futureproof of all the vintage Sennheisers because of the earpads. There was a certain type of 540II earpad that was totally black velvet; it had no pleather backing with the white fabric underneath. The fully velvet were the best due to their ease of stitching up and their higher durability. They also gave a thicker stitched earpad (less foam compression) and one that was all black. They could be carefully cut open around the inner diameter, foam removed, earpad skin turned inside-out to separate from attachment ring then the whole fabric could be washed in warm soapy water or alcoholic gel. I got a very good finish with them. Wonderful headphone for about £200.

Edited by Ash - 10 Feb 2021 at 11:08pm
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
MDF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 11:19am
Hmm. Maybe not then.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic