FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Greetings from NE Somerset

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by sboraston sboraston wrote:

Ok, Accession would push back my purchase a month (that would be the justification in my head) but I'd not end up with regrets.

Like my old man used to say "always buy the best you can afford", he said other things but they were a bit rubbish and some also offensive.

Another question, is it worth spending 1k on a MM phono stage (I'm only using an Ortofon 2m blue) or biting the MC bullet?

Before jumping into MC, I would try to hear some MC carts in your price range. Maybe you will like them and maybe you won't. 

You'll get all kinds of different opinions, but when I heard some MCs up to $1K I was disappointed. They offered a lot of detail but also had a rising top end I didn't like and had trouble tracking very challenging inner grooves on some difficult records. Not for me. 

I did hear some MC carts in the $3K to $10K range that impressed me more but those weren't without issue (more surface noise to go along with the detail) and they are out of my practical price range. I'm simply not going to spend that much money on a cartridge. 

I should stress though, I have never heard an MC cart with one of Graham's MC phono preamps. I suspect I might prefer it over other MC combos I've heard, and there are also some newer MC carts on the market that look interesting (e.g. the OC9XML from AT). 

However, I think in general I prefer to stick with MM/MI carts. Maybe one day I'll get around to trying MC with one of the GS MC phono stages, but too many other things are a priority at the moment. 

Another thing to keep in mind is your turntable and the environment around it. There are folks that have had issues with LOMC carts and carbon fiber tonearms, and sources of nearby interference like mobile phone networks and so on. Graham has written about this before. 

I wish I had an easy answer for you but I don't. 

My 2 cents. 

Edited by patientot - 19 Jan 2021 at 4:32pm
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 4:42pm
"My 2 cents." ... worth 1,000,000 and much more
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
Audio Realist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Audio Realist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 6:49pm
Personally, I'd delay the purchase and go for the Accession M. 
That's what I did after using the loaner facility which 'sold me' on the Accession M / Enigma combo.

I'd already ditched my well worn L*nn MC for a MM ... Ortofone 2M black. 

Your 2M blue also gives possibilty of future upgrade to Bronze or Black.

From experience I think that a top of range MM is better than a bottom of range MC. 
I don't doubt that a MC costing a couple of grand would be the best but in reality can it be justified
Others will no doubt have different thoughts.

Good luck with your deliberations!
sboraston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sboraston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 7:20pm
All good points and much appreciated.

Current thinking is stay with the MM, buy the Reflex M and then I've lots of room for bite size improvements albeit roughly £200 a bite ie PSU1 x 2, ULDE upgrade, cart etc. 

Of course and then it all starts again.

If Coventry score against Reading in the second half I'll order one tonight, if they don't I'll still order one but maybe tomorrow.

P******t RPM 1 with acrylic platter, Graham Slee Reflex M, Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear DE, Grado SR325e.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 7:22pm
Audio Realist
I agree with you on this one, Plus with his turntable as you said, Can it be justified, would he be getting the best out of a MC cart costing best part of a grand IMO NO. On my turntable I have the 2M Bronze and that is as far as I would go cost wise. After that a turntable replacement would be my best option 
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
sboraston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sboraston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 8:52pm
Update: Coventry didn't score but they did hit the post so I pulled the trigger and have just ordered a Reflex M from here.

Thanks again.
P******t RPM 1 with acrylic platter, Graham Slee Reflex M, Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear DE, Grado SR325e.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 10:02pm
thee old feel good factor A.
You wont regret It. And you still funds for future up grades. IMO you are going the best way about it.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic