FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Rasberry pi streamer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MDF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rasberry pi streamer
    Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 12:01am
I have just built a raspberry pi with an Allo Boss DAC hat as a bit of fun which I am using to feed my Solo Headphone Amp. I am astonished at the quality of such a budget DIY device. I am using it to stream Qobuz. It is definitely turned out to be not just a bit of fun but a seriously good streaming solution. Has anyone else tried using one?
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 12:48am
Not yet, but I have been looking at the latest CM4 and I/O board and am extremely tempted to try it. Shame about the lack of availability at the moment.

Edited by Ash - 16 Jan 2021 at 12:48am
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
discrete badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discrete badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 9:14am
I have been running a 3B + Allo DigiOne (my amp accepts SP/DIF) + Moode for just over a year. I play my ripped CD collection from a NAS and also stream.

I was originally motivated by convenience - which it has plenty of - rather than SQ.

So was surprised by the clear leap in SQ versus the well-regarded USB to SP/DIF converter it replaced.

Can't recommend the setup enough. One year on, am still delighted and even tempted to try the DigiOne Signature when there is stock.
MDF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 9:24am
I bought my Boss DAC direct from Allo's website when it showed as out of stock elsewhere. 
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 10:34am
I have been enthusing about the Pi as a streamer for some years. I have used a variety of Pi models, from the 2014 B+ V1.2 to the latest Pi 3b+ and 3b+. For feeding my Majestic SPDIF I now use a Pi 3a+, HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro with storage provided by an SSD directly connected to the Pi by USB. I should like to try one of Allos' offerings sometime.
I've tried most of the music orientated Operating Systems and have settled firmly on MoOdeAudio as my preferred system.
I do think there is a negative attitude toward Pi based streamers, perhaps based on the assumption that something so cheap and simple can't really be that good, but it is!!
Soon, as funds allow I shall upgrade my present power supplies to Grahams new 5V 3A DAK power supply.

Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
MDF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 11:18am
I use archphile with a separate pi running Bubbleupnp server for open home and minimserver for access to my NAS and radio streams. I could not get Moode to play a FLACM radio stream for some reason but it's probably just a setting somewhere, they both use the same Linux MPD as a renderer. It is pretty hard to believe you can get the quality you do for not much over £100.

Edited by MDF - 16 Jan 2021 at 11:20am
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 11:28am
It has been noted on the Moode forum that some of the FLAC streams are/were unreliable. Radio Paradise confirmed that there were problems integrating metadata. The situation does seem to have improved.
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic