FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Solo ULDE - my thoughts & headphone pairing.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 7:19pm
sboraston
Grado seem to be a favourite with GS headphone amp users is there some thing I am missing out on here ?? Are they a great combo it making me think that when I get around to changing my headphones that they are the ones to go for. there seems to be a lot of people out there that rate them highly.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
sboraston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sboraston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 7:51pm
Jon

I bought mine back in September and had no way of auditioning them due to covid so I can't comment how they compare. The build seems reasonable, comfort wise they are good and sound great although did seem a tad bright initially and some reviews said they weren't overly suited to dance bass heavy music. 

My main genre is probably 70-80s rock (ac/dc, sabbath etc) and they seem happy with how these records were mixed and recorded.

Maybe the GS users are drawn to them because they are of a similar ilk ie handmade, no frills looks and all about the sound quality (maybe I've been had by the marketing man).

For £260 they make me smile...just if my missus asks they were just over £50.

Simon  
P******t RPM 1 with acrylic platter, Graham Slee Reflex M, Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear DE, Grado SR325e.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 8:35pm
sboraston. Interesting what you say about GS users.
That's what I liked about GS and the fact they are made in the UK. It's just a pity you can't get headphones that are made here with the same sort of quality's.
As you can probably tell I like to buy British when I can. but that's hard to do now a days.
As for bass heavy music that's not what I am into that much (bass) but I do like a bit of UB40 and a touch more bass would be welcome.

Jonathan
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
sboraston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sboraston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

As for bass heavy music that's not what I am into that much (bass) but I do like a bit of UB40 and a touch more bass would be welcome.

I do like the first 2 UB40 lps and realised I'd not listened to them since getting the Solo. 

I have now and I can confirm the SR325e/solo combo makes the 45rpm from Signing Off sing. It's not brain shaking bass but definitely there in sufficient measures. They really bring out what a magnificent pressing this lp is.

I look forward to the Reflex/solo/sr325e combo.
P******t RPM 1 with acrylic platter, Graham Slee Reflex M, Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear DE, Grado SR325e.
Heavysoul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavysoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 10:16pm
Yes the marriage with Grado cans seems to be one suggested by a few different retailers as a recommended pairing. Not sure if this leads to a bit of unconscious bias.

I originally intended to upgrade to a pair of headphones around £300 to £400 mark quite soon. However after spending some more time with the Solo ULDE and the Sr80e's I'm still being surprised by the stereo image and bass on offer. The treble seems to have mellowed from my initial thoughts. 

I've just bought the half speed master of Legend by Bob Marley and the bass and separation of the instruments is amazing. No doubt a lot down to the ULDE

So for now at least I think I need to explore some more music before my next upgrade. Unless I come across a 2nd hand bargain I can't turn down!

Edited by Heavysoul - 21 Jan 2021 at 11:58pm
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 11:36pm
I have Grado GH1's and the pairing works well IMO, it is an exciting listening experience. The bass and midrange on my LCD-2's are exemplary, and the Solo ULDE works very well with them too.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
capetownwatches View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capetownwatches Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021 at 5:21pm
The ULDE is designed to pair well with a wide range of headphones, from 32 Ohm Grados to 300 and 600 Ohm Sennheisers and Beyerdynamics. I have the older Ultra Linear (non DE) and have used it with all of these and more. Headphones are such a subjective choice, and as you've heard, take time to get to know properly. 

I will say that I don't get on well with the cheaper Grados at all. The GS1000e was glorious though and I regret selling it. Currently I use mainly HD650, LCD2F and Fostex TH-X00 Mahogany. All are sublime to my ears driven by the UL.

My best advice? Skip a lot of to and fro and start with an HD650 as your baseline.
It will save you a fortune and once you experience them you'll recognise anything better you might hear, and can quickly discount the lesser cans.

Or you could live happily ever after, if you're a lucky one and don't slide down the rabbit hole... Wink

Edited by capetownwatches - 22 Jan 2021 at 5:22pm
Solo UL=Kingrex HQ1=NFB11.32=LD Mkll=SRM353X=DAC1 USB=RL Concero
LCD2F=HD6XX=SR-L500=DT990 600Ω=TH-X00=K612Pro=K240S=Y50
KRK Rokit 6=Mogami/Sommer->Neutrik/Amphenol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic