FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Potential owner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Dave63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dave63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 11:47pm
Hi guys,

Thanks for both of your input. I am reaching the same conclusion. I have played CDs of the same track and they are just too harsh and basically give me a headache after only a short period.
The Reflex just makes all the detail come out, but not in a smooth and controlled manner.

I am really enjoying it and have ordered one. 

patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by Dave63 Dave63 wrote:

Hi guys,

Thanks for both of your input. I am reaching the same conclusion. I have played CDs of the same track and they are just too harsh and basically give me a headache after only a short period.
The Reflex just makes all the detail come out, but not in a smooth and controlled manner.

I am really enjoying it and have ordered one. 

I'm glad the Reflex worked out for you. I really enjoy mine. 

RE: CDs it entirely depends how they were mastered. I have thousands of CDs and some are mastered very well and some are not. The trend from about the mid-90s on has been to make CDs louder and more compressed. Those types of CDs can easily give me a headache. Many times I have to search out older OOP CDs of albums I like to avoid the loudness war. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 8:06pm
patientot

I have always thought CDs to be on the bright side, But this loudness war you are on about is making me think, you may be onto something. I have an album by Pink Floyd- DSOTM the 1st I got in the 80s I then got the remaster a few years ago and I was not happy with It (harsh) I ended up giving the remaster to a charity shop. This is also something you got to look out for when buying NEW vinyl of old albums. They may be pressings of the digital remaster (but this is hard to find out) Remember on the CD box AAD, ADD,DDD. Most of us thought the more Ds the better it was or had to be.
Most of us think the old stuff is better but is it just how we remember it and that is how we like it???
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

patientot

I have always thought CDs to be on the bright side, But this loudness war you are on about is making me think, you may be onto something. I have an album by Pink Floyd- DSOTM the 1st I got in the 80s I then got the remaster a few years ago and I was not happy with It (harsh) I ended up giving the remaster to a charity shop. This is also something you got to look out for when buying NEW vinyl of old albums. They may be pressings of the digital remaster (but this is hard to find out) Remember on the CD box AAD, ADD,DDD. Most of us thought the more Ds the better it was or had to be.
Most of us think the old stuff is better but is it just how we remember it and that is how we like it???

One of the reasons I never buy reissues on vinyl without researching them first is that the quality is often poor with dubious sources used. Better labels that cater to a niche audiophile market like Analogue Productions, MOFI, Pure Pleasure, Speakers Corner et. al are usually more likely to get a reissue right than a run of the mill reissue from a major label. Of course there are always exceptions and things need to be researched on a case by case basis. 

I often email labels and other people to find out what source was used for a particular reissue. If I can't get more information or the label/retailer doesn't have it for me then I often pass on that product. 

RE: CDs, it's case by case as with everything else. There are some newer discs that have good dynamic range, but these are often the exception rather than the rule. For albums that were reissued on CD many times, you really have to do your research. 

Some albums just sound "bright" because they were recorded, mixed, and EQ'd that way from the get go. Take Def Leppard's Pyromania for example. I've heard a bunch of versions on vinyl and they are all "bright" like the original CD when played back with a reasonably neutral cartridge. One guy I know of made a needledrop of his LP copy with a highly colored cartridge that had upper midrange suck-out and high frequency roll-off. The effect was pleasant enough but far from an accurate representation of what was in the grooves IMHO. For my own purposes, I just play my CD copy and adjust my tone controls very slightly. That may be heresy to many audiophile types but I don't really care...:)
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 8:44pm
patientot

I found your reply interesting.
Your bit on tone controls had me thinking, If they are used in just that way then they are not a bad thing at all to use. I have never thought to use them in that way (my amp does not have them)but it is something that I could have done before but like I said never thought of.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

patientot

I found your reply interesting.
Your bit on tone controls had me thinking, If they are used in just that way then they are not a bad thing at all to use. I have never thought to use them in that way (my amp does not have them)but it is something that I could have done before but like I said never thought of.

My amp has them, and they can be bypassed completely via "direct mode" when I don't need them. I don't use them very often but every now and then. Nice to have when I need them. I actually used them the other day to play a DJ mix cassette a friend gave me. That tape had the opposite problem, too muddy sounding. A very slight boosting of treble and lowering of bass made it much more listenable. 
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 10:07pm
If you don't have tone controls I found you can get a tilt in the speaker response if it has biwire terminals. Replace the link between the red terminals with a 2.7 ohm or 4ohm wirewound resistor. If you want less treble plug your speaker cables into the LF terminals, for less bass plug into the HF terminals.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic