FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Potential owner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Dave63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Potential owner
    Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 3:04pm
Hi everyone and thanks for having me...

I have the following kit and I am interested in pre to finish it all off, hopefully.

Turntable:
Michell Gyrodec with Solid Air pylons and Orbe clamp

Tone arm:
Michell T3 (Rega 330) with Michell Technoweight and VTA upgrades 

Cartridge:
Nagoaka MP200 MM

Amplifier:
Marantz PM7000n

Speakers:
Q Acoustic 2050i floor standers

I was thinking either the Gram Amp SE, Era V Gold or Reflex M.
Budget is about £500, but not much more.....

Recommendations?

Many thanks Dave

Edited by Dave63 - 01 Jan 2021 at 11:42am
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 8:44pm
Welcome Dave63
With your budget the Era Gold V is well with in it, But if you can stretch to £540 the Reflex M is well worth it.
check out the loan program and try them at home with your HiFi all you have to pay is the P&P each way and I think you have 10 days to try them out, this way you can hear what they sound like with in your system that's your best bet. go to the Moderators Corner on this forum for more information 
Happy New Year
Jonathan
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Dave63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 9:35pm
Jonathan,

Many thanks. That is where I think I might be. Is there a major increase in benefit between the 2? I have never owned a Pre Amp before, as I have always owned integrated amps and this is my first foray into real Hi Fi.
I was considering building my own valve phono stage, as I have built a couple of very successful valve guitar amps, but to be honest, HiFi needs a bit more knowledge than I possess.
I am going to look at getting a loaner if I can, it seems like a brilliant idea.

Thanks for the response and happy near year to you as well.

Kind regards

Dave
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 3:19pm
Dave63
I can't comment on the Gold as I have not owned one but when I got the SE2 the 1st thing I noticed was the low surface noise when playing a record that impressed me a lot then came the detail I was getting, That was a world of difference from my then Audiolab 8300 amps built in phono and at the time I did't think it was all that bad it was that the SE2 was so much better. I think between the two you will be impressed with them both and I think trying them for your self in your system is best as it's you and only you that can make your mind up for you which one to go for. One thing I will say if you go for the loaner program have them powered up for at least a day before you listen to them.
I'm sorry that I can't give you more details as I am not vary good at putting my thoughts into words
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Dave63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 5:50pm
Jon,

Many thanks, your description  seems to be exactly what I am hoping for.
I might have to test drive a couple!

I have been doing an awful amount of reading, but until I can actually get to hear it with my own set up, its all just supposition isn't it?

Kind regards 

Dave
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 2:57pm
That is the good thing with the load program being able to try it out in your system, as where I live we used to have 4 HiFi shops now it's down to one and that is the R-SOUNDS, now I have nothing against them as I have bought many a HiFi off them and been happy with my choice but that's it CHOICE, not being able to try something out in my system that I may like the sound of or not ( they do have a big choice) but as for my last amplifier up grade they did not stock it so I took the chance after reading great reviews about it and bought online, It did work out good for me and I did like the sound of it in my system, but a good HiFi shop may have been able to give me a alternative that may of sounded better.
But that's what I am saying reading other peoples reviews is not like hearing it for your self is it??? 
Dave63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 5:52pm
Jon,

Once again for your sage advice. I am on a Michell FB group and I am getting a whole bucketload of recommendations. 
My main buying points are quality,  bang for buck and hopefully UK manufacture, and GS ticks all of these boxes.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic