FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Blue Note Tone Poet Series

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2022 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by PhilH PhilH wrote:

Hi, are finding the one-step pressings a big step up on regular pressings? They’re a big investment!
Cheers, Philip.

I refuse to buy them for the most part. I have yet to see a title where I'd be willing to lay down the money. I think they're a cash cow for the labels that do them. If you remember about ten years ago MOFI used to do a much more diverse array of stuff and now they are mostly in the bore-zone with stuff like Eagles one-steps.

No offense to any fans of the Eagles but I've heard their music so much over the decades that I have little interest in buying anything by them and listening to it on my own time. Just not my cup of tea.

Facts are that folks are much more likely to notice differences in these pressings vs. others based on the mastering engineers' EQ choices, which can vary greatly on a MOFI release compared to a non-MOFI release.

"Special" vinyl formulas for low-noise have been around since the 80s and back then the labels often didn't charge extra for it. If you have any records made with Quiex or KC9000 you know what I'm talking about.

A special vinyl formula and changes to the plating process are only going to make so much difference. EQ differences, different source tapes, etc. can make MUCH larger differences. One mastering guy I know of thinks one steps are a scam. Same deal with the Electric Recording Co. releases and other things of that ilk.

Edited by patientot - 01 Apr 2022 at 7:53pm
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2022 at 7:57pm
Today's arrival, one of the latest Tone Poet reissues. This one's by Sonny Red and I'd never heard any of his band leader releases before but really enjoyed this one. Definitely a must have if you like this kind of 60s hard bop.

SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic