FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Blue Note Tone Poet Series

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
nemu View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nemu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blue Note Tone Poet Series
    Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 7:36am
As a lover of the classical Blue Note Records, I am very happy about the Blue Note Tone Poet Series, which exists since 2019:

http://www.bluenote.com/tone-poet-vinyl-series-2020/

Thre records are very well made, remasterd for vinyl from the original analog tapes.

Highest recomendation!

Stephan

Edited by nemu - 15 Dec 2020 at 7:38am
Accession MM (PSU1), Accession MC (Enigma PSU1)
vinyljunki View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinyljunki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 10:02pm
Agreed. Probably have about 90% of these. The ones I dont have Im not too fussed about owing.Very good value 

However, the 80 and Classic reissues offer even greater value :-)
nemu View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nemu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 12:15am
Thats true! The 80th series and the classic series are very well made and a true bargain.
Accession MM (PSU1), Accession MC (Enigma PSU1)
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 10:54am
I agree that the Tone Poet records are superb and great value.  If you are interested in jazz outside of blue note there are also another two series of reissues that are excellent and reasonably priced ( at least in the USA)

The Acoustic Sounds series:

and from Craft Recordings:

Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 6:26pm
I have a bunch of the Tone Poet and BN80 series. Most of them are excellent. 

There are a few titles that suffer from severe tape flutter issues but this problem seems to have been solved, or maybe they are just choosing titles to do that have less tape problems since the issue was raised. I won't go into more detail here, but you can find some discussion on that if you search around. 

RE: the new Verve Acoustic Sounds series, I only have one of those, which is A Love Supreme. I do plan to try more down the line. 

RE: Craft, I'm afraid some of those Chet titles suffer from the tape flutter issue as well. I passed on that boxset and individual reissues as a result. 

Lots of good jazz reissues out there. The French label Sam Records does some great stuff, as well as the UK label Pure Pleasure. Also, Speakers Corner is another good one to look for. 

Edited by patientot - 01 Feb 2021 at 6:26pm
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 7:21pm
I concur with the Sam Records and Pure Pleasure suggestion since I have a few of those but I admit that I have not yet heard anything from Craft.  I have two Chet titles on preorder so I guess I will reserve judgement until I get those.
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub
vinyljunki View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinyljunki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 8:39pm
Oh whats the Verve Live Supreme pressing like? Might take a look at that one

I have the Gil Evans and Ray Charles Verve on pre order, so looking forward to these 2 :-)

I will have a dig into Sam so thanks for the recommendation

Agree its a good time for Jazz Reissues. The Impex Patricia Barber One Step is very good if thats your thing and so is the Legrand Jazz 45rpm also on Impex. Then theres the MOFI One Step but im sure theres another thread for these lol

Missed out on the John Coltrane Craft One Step release. Will need to keep my eyes peeled for the next bunch

Back to Blue Note, im currently playing Bobbi Humphrey - Blacks & Blues (Jazz Funk) Blue Note 80 as I type :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic