FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Buzz troubleshooting help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
HDave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buzz troubleshooting help
    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 3:37pm
Hi
I purchased used a Reflex Era Gold and and Elevator EXP.

My system has power filters and was dead quite with the system turned on and no source running

Day one I switched my old phono stage out for the Reflex and heard a definite improvement in sound
on my MM

Day 2 my new turntable with MC was installed and I added the Elevator.  There was an audible noise a buzzing introduced into the system.  I checked all the grounds and things were fine.  The units were sitting on top of my Streamer.  When the stream was turned on the buzz got much louder.

I relocated the units away from all other equipment and the buzz diminished but it's still there.  Not super audible but I can hear it from a couple of feet away.

Is it because my units are likely a bit older and something like a transistor is deteriorating?  Is it something the happens with MC in the system (my first ever MC so I have no idea).

Suggestions?  Thoughts appreciated

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 4:03pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
HDave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 5:38pm
Thanks Admin Group.  Oddly I just tried it to see if it was off with the TT power supply turned off as all of the other bases had already been covered.  Nothing, no noise.  Then I turned on the power supply and still nothing.  I started the TT in motion and still no noise.  It's some kind of Gremlin which is now gone.  Could it have been a run in time thing?  I know the units had not been used in a while

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 5:47pm
Well done. It may have just needed a restart!
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by HDave HDave wrote:

Could it have been a run in time thing?  I know the units had not been used in a while

I'd still be cautious
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
HDave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 6:04pm
Still be cautious?  Can you elaborate?
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 6:08pm
I'm always suspicious about things fixing themselves, and problems sometimes come back to haunt us. So best to be ready in case the problem returns and to investigate further.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic