FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Vale tg [Tony Greenhill]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
phibes View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phibes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vale tg [Tony Greenhill]
    Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 11:46pm
To the Graham Slee Audio forum community.

It is with great sadness that I let you all know of the passing of my mate and good friend, Tony Greenhill, [aka tg here on this forum] on Monday afternoon the 16 November. Tony had been suffering from lung cancer and finally lost his long battle with the disease yesterday afternoon.

I first met Tony about 14 years ago and he contacted me through an Australian audio forum. Tony introduced me to LOMC phono cartridges and prior to that, I think I had owned and used just about every Shure V15 cartridge model ever made. Around the same time, I was using a well known Australian made phono stage and Tony sent me his Graham Slee Era Gold V to try and as soon as I hooked up the Slee unit, it was like someone had turned the 'music tap' to full on. It was a revelation to me because I thought I was getting very good reproduction from my vinyl rig prior to that and needless to say, I ordered my first Slee phono preamp a couple of days later. A couple of years after that, Tony recommended me to Graham to facilitate the Australian Loaner Program, which has been a great success and I continue to operate today.

Tony and I would speak regularly over the phone and Tony did visit a couple of times when I was living in Melbourne and he was an absolute gentleman. My wife Dale and I loved having him as our guest and when I lost Dale to cancer just over two years ago, Tony was wonderful with his support for me during that time and that is something I'll never forget. I did try several times over the past two years to have Tony come up and spend some time with me where I now live on the NSW Mid Coast, but on every occasion, he was not feeling well enough to make the three hour journey, even when I offered to drive down and pick him up. Tony called me a little over two weeks ago and I commented to him at the time how strong he sounded, but he was quick to tell me that he had just taken his medication and that he felt relatively good and that he thought it would be a good time to give me a call. Toward the end of our 30 minute talk he was starting to get tired and had to sign off...............as it has turned out, sadly that was the last time I got to speak to my mate and friend.

RIP Tony

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 5:20am
Tony (tg) was a founding member, having followed me here after I (and John C) left/got kicked off another forum. We'd been members there a few years, so you could say he'd been a friend for 16 or 17 years.

In the olden days, he'd be known as a "pen-pal," that's people you never meet, but you form a kind of bond with. I know we talked by phone on a couple of occasions, and I echo what Keith said, in that he was an absolute gentleman.

Not only did he write some very useful posts and topics, which have been of great help to many, but he was very supportive towards me on the long road of establishing this "brand" - something I'll never forget.

He'd been my choice for helping me with the Australian loaner program but declined due to his ill health. Instead, he introduced me to Keith (phibes, above) - another absolute gentleman. Tony was a trustworthy guy, and I gave him his own set of keys to the forum (moderator status), so he could look after the place from Downunder while we slept Wink

It always felt like you couldn't give solid gold to an Australian, even if you paid them to take it, but tg was willing to give me a try. He was the inroad to Australia for me. Such praise would have appeared to be sloppy to him, but I guess I can get away with it now.

Goodbye tg Cry

Edited by Graham Slee - 17 Nov 2020 at 6:23am
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 5:30am
Very sad to hear of Tony’s passing. I’ve read so many of his posts that I feel like I sort of knew him. Keith, my deepest condolences to you on the loss of real friend.
Best wishes to all involved,
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 9:19am
I am very sorry for everything you have lost.

I remember tg bought a couple of vintage Sennheiser headphones from me several years ago. I was quite excited to post something out to Australia and I recall him being pleased with them. He was very level-headed and gave me a verbal scolding on at least one occasion when I most probably deserved it. :) 

To everyone else here with waning health due to age/illness who have contributed to the success and dignity of this forum, I would like to express my personal gratitude and thanks to you whilst I still have the chance to do so. Time separates us so quickly that it would be a mistake to leave this unsaid. So thank you very much for all you have done for me and for others.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 1:02pm
Very sad news. My condolences. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 5:41pm
Tony was a great supporter of our community and this is very sad news. Rest in peace.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 7:46pm
Very sorry to read of this, tg was a great member who'll be sadly missed.
Condolences to his family & friends.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic