FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Seeking advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 10:43pm
I agree with David MC can be very expensive and some good MM carts can be as good as an entry level MC carts and you don't have the expense of re tipping or replacing the cart (but then I know some would not entertain MM) because they say MC carts are superior sound wise
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

I agree with David MC can be very expensive and some good MM carts can be as good as an entry level MC carts and you don't have the expense of re tipping or replacing the cart (but then I know some would not entertain MM) because they say MC carts are superior sound wise

Many will disagree of course but I've never heard any "budget" sub-$1K MC that impressed me much. The best MCs I've heard cost thousands of dollars, well beyond what is practical for me. 

The combo of a good MM and a G.S. preamp work very well for me. 

For now, I don't bother with MC and enjoy my records and MM/MI carts. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 5:34am
I adored my Ortofon 2M Black - Reflex M combo, but it always made me wonder how much better things could get. Accession MC and a Rega Apheta 2 bury it musically and in terms of hifi type assessments. As it should considering the cost. 
However, the fundamental musical correctness of the Slee electronics I think is at the heart of getting the most from either technology
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
panatha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panatha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 5:26pm
Thank you all for your comments. I guess that the discussion on MM & MC is a never ending one. I become more and more convinced to stick with MM and try to get the best out of it and leave MC for the future (though I doubt it).

Any thought, comments, concerns regarding the following options would be very helpful

-        Gram amp 2 se; 

-        Gram amp 2 se with PSU1

-        Era gold V

-        Reflex M (second hand at about 500, if any)

At an earlier post I’ve said that I would like to keep it lower than 500, but 3 out of the 4 options above are at 500 (and possibly slightly higher)…

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 5:43pm
Fair enough. Always better to enjoy what you have!

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 7:44pm
I am not going add to the MM v MC debate as I have no experience with MC carts. All I know is it's expensive.
Yannis
I would say stick to your budget and get the Gram amp2 se it is vary good (and see how you get on with it) If you are happy with it then add the PSU1. Or what about this, buy the GA2 se and buy more new music it is what HiFi is for, listening to "music".
Do let us all know what you end up with.
HAPPY LISTENING
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic