FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Seeking advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
panatha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panatha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seeking advice
    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 11:24am
Hi to all,

I am a new member (from Greece). My current setup is: Rega Brio, Rega Planar 3/Elys 2, Neo TT psu and Schiit Mani. Last year i changed my turntable to Rega Planar 3/Elys 2 and I am looking for a new phono stage to complete my setup (and hopefully forget it for some years). I am quite happy with Schiit Mani (it was a gift from a friend) but I feel that improvements, at reasonable cost, are possible. Any advice / recommendation would be helpful. I've reached this site/forum through the positive reviews I've read.
On top of that, I have a more general question. Should I go for a MM only phono stage and get the best value for my budget or go for a MM/MC to be prepared for any future upgrade plans?
Thank you   
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 12:44pm
Hi Yannis, and welcome to the forum.

I'm a long time user of Graham Slee products - my first Graham Slee phono preamp was the Gram Amp 2SE, assembled on Graham's kitchen table by the man himself.
I no longer have it, but it lives with a friend who also loves what it does.

What is your budget?

panatha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panatha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 2:23pm
Well, the budget available is 500 €, though I would like to keep it lower but at the same time I want an improvement and not just a change
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 4:11pm
Hi Yannis Welcome
Not sure what the Euro to the pounds is?
So the ERA Gold V may be in budget but the Gram amp 2 SE is well in your budget, both are vary good.
As you said you will be keeping this set up for some years, So I would say stick with MM only for the best sound at your budget. You have years to save up if you go MC.
Hope this helps you out

Jonathan
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 5:32pm
CageyH is the European loan coordinator.
Send him a PM and arrange a loan.
Hear the kit in your own system.
panatha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panatha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 5:36pm
Hi Jonathan,
Thanks for the advice. I feel that I should go for the MM only route, though there is a number of MM/MC products (at the upper end of my budget) with positive reviews (e.g. black cube, moon 110lp v2)
Unfortunately 1 pound is more than 1.15 Euro.
Yes, I will keep this setup for some years (or I'll get divorced Smile) but I'd like to try some other cartridges in the future (MM or HOMC) without changing the phono stage.
Yannis

CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 6:38pm
Personally, I would have a look to see if you can get a 2nd hand Reflex M with PSU1, stick with MM for now, and when upgrading to MC then get an Elevator Exp.

The cost of going MC can be eye watering though. One reason I have only dipped a toe in the water at the moment, as with a young child in the house it can be a very expensive hobby. She has been told not to touch my turntable, but she may get inquisitive one day.

With an MM, it is going to be less expensive to fix, and you probably have 80 to 90% of what MC gives an Audiophile. The question is, are you an Audiophile, or music lover? There are some very good MM cartridges available, both new, and second hand recent models, as well as some really good vintage offerings.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic