FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Alignment Protractors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 9:40pm
It was my pleasure to help Jon. I have a Clearaudio protractor and it was much better when I bought a linen magnifier then used a LED torch* with it. I found the humble two point protractor works better when I can it see the stylus and cantilever properly.

*one of those little LED torches allows you to light from the side or nearly front on, depending which is easiest for you.

More recently I got one of the headband magnifiers with lights like yours. Handy with the mirrored protractor panel I now use with the Clearaudio rig and it is also great for model railway details BTW.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 10:38pm
Hi Jon
Yet to use both to check my turntable but I have used the headband magnifier and it was a big help so it should be vary use full for checking my cart set up, what I like is the light is always where you need it (hope that makes sense) and the mirrored protractor will be a big help too with my poor eye sight, I need glasses for long and short sight so I can't always focus properly if you no what I mean
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 10:23pm
Agreed. I know what you mean. I have glasses for astigmatism and short sight so agree about the benefits of magnifier lenses and better illumination, making cartridge alignment much easier for me. Hope it goes well for you too Jon.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 7:57pm
Hi Jon
yes it did go well, on Sunday I used both to check the alignment so much easier (every thing was OK) 
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 8:51pm
Hi all
I know nothing to do with cart protractors but I was reading up on Vertical tracking angle, VTA set up to pass the time. talk about blinding me with science there were some saying you should alter it for different vinyl sizes ie 180 grams and smaller and (which I agree with) platter mats thicknesses (if you change it) I thought do these people get round to listening to music. I have always set the tonearm to Level with a vinyl record playing surface am I right or wrong ? or am I missing the point here. I use a bubble level to do this with, it also sets the azimuth. what do you lot think am I doing It right? I have not had any reason to think that I am doing it wrong as I have always been happy with the way my setting up sounds. But I'm willing to listen and learn.
I just thought I put this out there on this forum
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 10:08am
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

Hi all
I know nothing to do with cart protractors but I was reading up on Vertical tracking angle, VTA set up to pass the time. talk about blinding me with science there were some saying you should alter it for different vinyl sizes ie 180 grams and smaller and (which I agree with) platter mats thicknesses (if you change it) I thought do these people get round to listening to music. I have always set the tonearm to Level with a vinyl record playing surface am I right or wrong ? or am I missing the point here. I use a bubble level to do this with, it also sets the azimuth. what do you lot think am I doing It right? I have not had any reason to think that I am doing it wrong as I have always been happy with the way my setting up sounds. But I'm willing to listen and learn.
I just thought I put this out there on this forum

It's not as much of a problem as some folk make out.
I set mine with a 180g record on the platter, and a small bubble level on the headshell.
Get it so the bubble is sat in the middle of the circle, and that's it.

Life's too short for beggaring about on a record by record basis.

lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 1:40pm
Hi Chris
That's how I do it. doing it record by record seems OTT to me and your spending time on the set up when you could be listening to music, When it comes to playing vinyl some go to the extremes and it makes you think, do they play their records or just mess with the set up?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic