FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

The long and short of it

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Grumpysaurus View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpysaurus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The long and short of it
    Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 11:53pm
Dear all.

Whilst I'm saving for a phono stage I am planning ahead for future purchases and how to incorporate them into the home in a family-friendly fashion. Specifically I am thinking of the location of Proprius power amps in relation to the pre-amp and speakers.

Is it generally considered better to locate the Proprius next to, or close to, the speakers, with the attendant short speaker cable run and longer interconnects between the pre and power amps?  Alternatively would it be more sensible to have the pre and power amps close to each other and have a longer speaker cable run?

In case it is relevant, the distance between the pre-amp and the speakers will be two metres to one speaker and four to five metres to the second speaker. (The pre-amp will be located in a corner of the room and the speakers more or less central to the seating position.)  No mains cables will be in the area between the pre-amp and speakers.

Thank you.

Edited by Grumpysaurus - 09 Nov 2020 at 12:23am
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 1:36pm
The Proprius on the speakers is only viable where a balanced feed is available from the preamp/control amp.

In my own set-up I use long speaker cables, even though I have the balanced output of my Majestic available.

I run unbalanced interconnects from my Majestic - which acts as my preamp - to the Proprius inputs.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 10:34pm
I think Graham is right. I have my Proprius amps next to each of my speakers (I lifted them off the carpet on small platforms) and use long balanced feed from the Majestic with very short speaker cables. It sounds great to me and may be the best fit for your domestic situation, unless I have misunderstood.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Bags View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2023 at 11:15am
I'm interested in the experience of other proprius users who have moved their amps closer to their speakers.  What changes did you experience in sound quality as a result?
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2023 at 1:14pm
I tried both, and found very little difference (if any) in sound quality, but I was using a maximum length of about 3m.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2023 at 4:55pm
For connecting Majestic to Proprius, I was led to believe that Lautus-R3 1.5m is probably the optimum interconnect. It is the minimum length required for the EMI-suppressive ferrites and uses the anti-phase signal only (unbalanced) rather than either the standard phase or both phases together (balanced). The anti-phase (R3) alone does not carry forward common mode distortion whereas the other two options do. So in theory, it seems this interconnect would provide the purest output. The benefits of using anti-phase plus ferrites should offset the surplus length of 1.5m.

CuSat50-R3 of any length uses the anti-phase but has no ferrites. Libran of any length uses both phases (so carries forward common mode distortion) and also has no ferrites. So even ultra-short lengths of either of these interconnects is unlikely to offset no ferrite EMI-suppression and carrying forward common mode distortion on the standard phase of the Libran.

Whether you could actually hear a difference in purity between the cable choices in another matter entirely. You'd need to optimise the rest of the system before being able to hear any difference at all probably.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2023 at 8:14pm
I have the Proprius amps close enough to use Spatia jumper leads about 150mm long because the Magnepan terminals are at floor level. Before that 300mm bi-wire cable which replaced 4,000mm bi-wire cable from hifi rack to speakers. All very good, subtly different in sound.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic