FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Solo SRGii - Requesting Guidance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 11:44am
Ash is right I know someone with the Bitzie and she travels a lot with her job and that's what she got it for, the compact setup so when on her travels she only has 3 box's to take as it were. But it does not sound like that's what you are going to use it for. But has he said you get a hell of a introduction to high fidelity sound. I don't know much about DACs so I can't comment on that issue I listen to mainly Vinyl and CDs ,That said mainly Vinyl these days At home ( but for the car I also have a portable player ) and my CDs and they are good enough for that as I mainly do short distances. 
Jonathan
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
aakashk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aakashk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

My recommendation of the Bitzie is not because it will be the last DAC/amp you'll ever buy. It is because of what you get for £350-450; a hell of an introduction to high fidelity. Spend another £50 on a K240 Studio headphone and you have a great compact setup for £500. Great DAC and headamp with high quality cable and resolving headphone. Leave the system powered on for long periods and run the headphone in and I'm confident a wide smile will emerge soon enough.
Totally understand you and it's a very meaningful recommendation indeed. However at this point, I am looking for a powerful amplifier more than a DAC hence the SRGii attracts me. I should be able to get it for about £370 or slightly less (Of course, not with the PSU1). For my travels (future tense, given the times of Covid we are living in) my Sony WM1A serves me well :)
But I sincerely appreciate all your inputs so far, you have been extremely helpful. 
aakashk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aakashk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

Ash is right I know someone with the Bitzie and she travels a lot with her job and that's what she got it for, the compact setup so when on her travels she only has 3 box's to take as it were. But it does not sound like that's what you are going to use it for. But has he said you get a hell of a introduction to high fidelity sound. I don't know much about DACs so I can't comment on that issue I listen to mainly Vinyl and CDs ,That said mainly Vinyl these days At home ( but for the car I also have a portable player ) and my CDs and they are good enough for that as I mainly do short distances. 
Jonathan
Hey Jonathan. Yes, travel is not my use-case right now, otherwise Bitzie is an easy choice. It's mostly for desk usage at home that I am looking for a powerful and versatile AMP so I can go about trying different headphones. SRGii fits the budget and seems like an appropriate option to go for. Maybe it will be a good idea to add the PSU1 later, I understand it brings significant improvements. 

Edited by aakashk - 10 Oct 2020 at 6:10pm
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 7:18pm
Yes, product choice should reflect the needs of the user so go for a Solo if it helps you to achieve your objectives. The Solo in any form is very capable and offers you an upgrade path. You can use it with both vinyl and digital as well.

For power reference, Solo can drive AKG K1000 to loud levels if the drivers are fairly close to the ears. Impedance is 120 Ohms and sensitivity is 74dB/mW. Considering this, planar magnetics should be fair game too.

Edited by Ash - 10 Oct 2020 at 7:30pm
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
aakashk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aakashk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 12:03pm
So I finally got myself the Solo SRGii and am very excited already. It makes my Focal Clear sing even better than before. 
Just out of curiosity I also plugged an AKG K240 Sextett into it which is a 600 ohm beast, and the AMP drove it without any distortion between 2-3 o'clock on the volume pot. I am letting the AMP Burn in and will see how it behaves over next few days/weeks. 

Is there a recommended burn in period for the SRGii?

Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 9:49pm
Fantastic! Congrats on the improvement to your listening pleasure. A lot of the improvement comes in the first three days of being plugged in and left on. It keeps getting better for a few weeks is my experience.
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 11:29am
Yes give it a few weeks and I found it improved a lot but I also had new headphones so same of that may have been down to them as well. but my experience with the Reflex M saw improvements over few weeks too so I'll say it was the same for the headphone amp as well.
Jonathan
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic