FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Solo SRGii - Requesting Guidance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
aakashk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aakashk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solo SRGii - Requesting Guidance
    Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 2:12pm
Hello!
I am about 3 years old in High-Fi Audio. For a long time I have been using portable gears for my music listening however I am now looking to learn & experience more by trying full size headphones alongwith desktop gear.
I am considering the Solo SRGii as my first desktop AMP purchase (since it fits my budget). I use a Focal Clear headphone and wondering if that's a good pairing. If anyone has used the combination, please suggest me. I am also curious to know what are some of the other Headphones that pair well with the SRGii.
My sound signature preference is mostly neutral with some warmth and sub bass rumble. I do prefer wide airy soundstage and musicality however I cannot tolerate a treble too hot. I do not intend to change or upgrade the amp for few years therefore looking for something versatile enough that can be paired well with a variety of headphones
Unfortunately I do not have a way to audition the amp therefore suggestions from fellow members will be of great value to me.
Thanks a lot!
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 7:21pm
Welcome Aakash
Well 1st off The Solo SRG ll  is a good headphone amp it is the one I use and it is a Versatile amp for a lot of different headphones so can be used with variety of headphones, Close back or Open. You wont have a problem there. 2nd As for a upgrade you can add the PSU1 power supply when you got the funds.
I am sorry I do not have any suggestions for headphones but someone on this forum I am sure will have. 
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 10:06pm
Hi and welcome!
   I’ve used the Fical Elear and Utopia with the Solo ULDE and the results are fantastic. Definitely no treble hotness.
I hope that helps,
Mick
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 10:57pm
my brain some times does not work so I have just remembered that someone on this forum said Grado headphones work well with GS headphone amps. I use sen HD600s no treble hotness with them too I find anyway.
Jonathan
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
aakashk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aakashk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 11:57am
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

Welcome Aakash
Well 1st off The Solo SRG ll  is a good headphone amp it is the one I use and it is a Versatile amp for a lot of different headphones so can be used with variety of headphones, Close back or Open. You wont have a problem there. 2nd As for a upgrade you can add the PSU1 power supply when you got the funds.
I am sorry I do not have any suggestions for headphones but someone on this forum I am sure will have. 
Thank you so much for sharing that. 
aakashk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aakashk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Aussie Mick Aussie Mick wrote:

Hi and welcome!
   I’ve used the Fical Elear and Utopia with the Solo ULDE and the results are fantastic. Definitely no treble hotness.
I hope that helps,
Mick
Thanks Mick. That's great to know. Would you also be able to comment if it improves the soundstage (width or height) on Focals? Is this a suitable pairing for more energetic genres of Music like Pop/EDM? I am assuming the inherent tonality of SRGii & ULDE would be similar except the latter being more powerful. Thanks again
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 12:29pm
I’ve listened to pop, jazz, chamber music, house, classical...it all sounds great to me. Focal doesn’t do the wide soundstage that other brands do, but I think with the Solo they do coherence and pinpoint placement. I think they’ve helped me get the best from my Focal headphones. Try the Solo via the loan scheme and see if it’s what you’re after. A stonking good amp, and excellent value for money.
Cheers,
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic