FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

CuSat50 - balanced interface

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
iz_thewiz149 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iz_thewiz149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CuSat50 - balanced interface
    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 1:50pm
Hi, 

I recently purchased and received a dual mono CuSat50 (RCA/RCA 0.6m) for the purpose of interfacing certain components within my system. Although the cable works as intended, its original purpose is now surplus to my requirements, and I was hoping to use the cable in another way by interfacing my phono stage (Era Gold V) direct to my AD/DA interface. 

The AD/DA interface (RME Fireface 800) supports line inputs (6.5mm TRS jack, electronically balanced), and is specified to have an input impedance of 10 KOhms, which should suit the recommended load impedance of the Era Gold V (10 KOhms). The only small issue is that the CuSat50 cables I purchased are RCA/RCA, however  I do have access to RCA/TS adapters which will allow me to complete the interfacing connections. 

Will the use of the RCA/TS adapters have any negative effect on the overall signal quality of the CuSat50? 

Thanks. 
Technics SL-1200 MK2 / Jelco TK-850S / Jelco HS-25 / Nagaoka MP-200 / Zavfino 1877 'The Cove' / Graham Slee Era Gold V / Coleman Audio M3PH MK2 / RME Fireface 800 / Dorrough 40-C2 / Furman M-10 XE
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 6:00pm
That will work great for cable lengths less than 2 meters.

The RCA/TS adapters will not have any negative effect on the overall signal quality of the CuSat50. 
 The TS plug needs;
 the RCA center pin to connect to the tip of the TS plug,
the RCA shield of course connects to the sleeve of the TS plug.

A good "TS phone plug" will automatically connect the Ring contact inside the TRS balanced input jack
 to the Shield... making a good single-ended connection, not balanced.

(TRS = Tip, Ring, Sleeve... a balanced line connector)
(Tip = + phase balanced line; Ring = - phase balanced line; Sleeve = shield)

See "TRS Phone Plug" on Wikipedia.
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iz_thewiz149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 7:48am
Thanks for your reply! 

I ended up returning the CuSat50 cable to Hi-Fi System Components and swapping it over for the RCA/TRS build instead. I don't have access to a soldering iron to make any internal adjustments of the adapters and I don't even know where they were manufactured, I just had them in my adapter kit. It's more of a piece of mind thing for me. 

Technics SL-1200 MK2 / Jelco TK-850S / Jelco HS-25 / Nagaoka MP-200 / Zavfino 1877 'The Cove' / Graham Slee Era Gold V / Coleman Audio M3PH MK2 / RME Fireface 800 / Dorrough 40-C2 / Furman M-10 XE
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 9:31am
Nothing is better than a direct connection. The internals of adapters could vary in construction quality and conductor purity/material/specs. Probably wouldn't affect what you hear but I guess there is a possibility, based on reviews of Spatia links enhancing sound quality of speakers.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iz_thewiz149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

Nothing is better than a direct connection.

Absolutely!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic