FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Which phonostage for DV 10 X 5 Mk2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
fluddite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by RichW RichW wrote:

You won't regret getting a good record cleaner Ian. A Moth or similar do a great job.

As a fellow Dynavector 10x5 user, I'd emphatically second the Moth recommendation - built like a tank and makes even the riskier Discogs purchases sound pretty much like new. Might well be the best £600 I've ever spent on this hobby/obsession.... Wink
Pushpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 9:59pm
LP cleaning machines can be ridiculously expensive. I recommend getting a simple ultrasonic cleaning bath from eBay. I paid about $200 for mine and it does a phenomenal job of cleaning organic matter from records. You do have to manually spin the in the bath, but it’s worth saving a few thousand dollars if you ask me. I use distilled water with a small drop of dish soap to break surface tension (without colour or scent or other additives if possible).. I have resurrected a lot of old records this way, making them sound like new. Most crackle etc is just organic matter not scratches. Good luck!
P******t Debut Carbon, Goldring 1042, GS Accession MM w/Enigma, GS Solo ULDE w/PSU1, Sennheiser HD6XX, Technics SU-800 IA, Castle Knight 1, PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, Lautus & CuSat50
Ian B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 2:37pm
Thanks Guys, much appreciate your input on this thread.
I was going to get a Project VCE vacuum record cleaning machine which is around £329 in the UK. I don't know anybody that has used one, as yet....Big smile

Edited by Ian B - 13 Oct 2020 at 2:40pm
Ian B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 4:33pm
I have just taken delivery of one of the Loan Scheme Reflex M phonostages with both the basic psu and the up-rated PSU 1 psu. I had a go with it this morning for a couple of hours, with the basic psu. I have both psu's mains powered at present, the idea being that they will both have been on exacltly the same amount of time as each other making it a level playing field as regards warm-up. Anyway, after 26 hours of warm-up, so far, I played Earl Klugh 'Soda Fountain Shuffle', Frankie Goes To Hollywood 'Two Tribes( sex mix on 45 rpm 12 inch ) and then Basia 'Time And Tide'. This is the first time that I have been able to audition any phonostage above the price of my Rega Fono mk2, so I was looking forward to the experience.
So, to my ears, there is more authority/weight to the overall presentation than with the Rega, and a bit more bass as well as coherence to the overall sound. Transients etc, especially on the Frankie' 12 inch are something else, with effortless ease, control and dynamics. Impressive, so far and I will be swopping-over to the PSU 1 in a few days, so there should be another step- up in performance to look forward to. Cheers to all and wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year for 2021.
Ian B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2020 at 11:53am
So, I have swopped-over to the PSU 1 after some 3 days( could not wait to try it out against the standard psu ). At first there was more 'authority' and a bit more dynamic than with the standard psu. Now, after some 10 days there is defo more 'weight' to the overall sound with the PSU 1. The effect, to my ears at least, is that the whole soundstage now 'sings' the notes rather than just 'plays' them. I am not used to all the 'reviewer terminology', so these are just my thoughts as a layman as to how this unit sounds with my modest hi-fi system, made up of all sorts of separates. I will have to send it back at the end of this coming week, but enjoying my first 'experience' of a more up-market phonostage to what I am used to.
Ian B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 8:48pm
So, testing complete.

Would I buy a reflex M ? The answer is yes, but with the basic psu not the PSU 1.
I have one or two others that I want to try  before making my decision, and with lockdown upon us yet again, the process may take longer than anticipated. Cheers Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic