FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Which phonostage for DV 10 X 5 Mk2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Ian B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which phonostage for DV 10 X 5 Mk2
    Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 4:45pm
New Member from Brighton, Sussex, UK

I am not, yet, a user of your products but I am looking round for a new phonostage, to replace my ageing Rega Fono Mk2 which is ok,but just does not have the bite/attack for my Dynavector DV 10 X5 Mk2, which I had installed this last week to replace the Mk1 version which I have had for the last 16 years. I do have another phonostage, NAD PP2 which has an MC input which has a lot more attack/bass etc than the Rega, but is not as good for overall sound quality. I have a 1983 LP 12, Lingo ,and Akito arm ( recently upgraded with Johnny 7 ceramic bearings, into an Audiolab 8200Q preamp feeding into a pro audio power amp( 2 x  140w/8r), powering  Bose Acoustimas 5 sub/sat speakers( lack of floorspace in my 12ft x 10ft lounge ).

My cartridge is a high output MC ( 2.8 millivolts, 150pf and 1,000ohm per manufacturer ), and I am wondering which, if any, of your phonostages can accommodate a cartridge with these requirements. Also, is it possible to use a phonostage, successfully, without those particular values, without damage/loss of sound quality, please ?

RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 8:23am
Hi Ian,
The Dynavector high o/p mc DV20 I used worked very successfully with Era Gold V when it was the top GSP phono stage back in the early 2000s. I believe this has similar specs to your cart.
The ReflexM & Accession have come along since & should work even better..

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 12:12pm
As I just commented on another doubter's post, my designs have been working perfectly with just about every cartridge on the planet, for 20 (twenty) years now!

If you don't think me capable of making something that works, why come on here?
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ian B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 12:20pm
Many thanks RichW.

I  sent a note to Dynavector in Japan yesterday, asking for clarification of their specs for the DV 10 X 5 mk2, as to whether they are the 'must have's', the 'minimum specs' or merely the 'recommended specs'. I am hoping to get a reply in the next few days, with any luck. In the meantime, John ( GSP Audio ) has been in contact and is suggesting that the published specs for my cart, as with most of the others, are merely recommended specs, but to let my ears do the listening( with a demo/loan unit ) to see which settings I like best before deciding. :D

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 12:27pm
Do you know what the greater than sign (>) means?

Can you show me where it says it needs a load of 150pF please?

Edited by Graham Slee - 29 Sep 2020 at 12:36pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ian B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

As I just commented on another doubter's post, my designs have been working perfectly with just about every cartridge on the planet, for 20 (twenty) years now!

If you don't think me capable of making something that works, why come on here?

I have ,so far, no reason to doubt your ability to manufacture phonostages and other equipment, or your ability to sort-out which of your award winning phonostages would suit my cartridge. Yesterday, you said in answer to my email, that you were too busy to deal with my query by email. Ok, no problem , so to save you the trouble, as you were very busy, I put my query on the forum in the hope that somebody would be able to help me, as a newbie to this forum and your brand of phonostages. Luckily, someone came to my aid( above), and partly answered my query, which is great. I have not seen any other parts of this forum, so far, nor your reply to a doubter, only having seen both your website and your forum only yesterday, which I joined.
You are quite correct in your second post, the 150pf was in fact the 150 ohm impedance, which it also mentions on my tiny instructions supplied with my cartridge. I also missed the greater -than sign  for the  1,000ohms. Doh !

RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 8:48am
Come back & let us know how you get on Ian.Thumbs Up

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic