FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

The Funk Firm Houdini

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 5:33pm
I did notice in Audacity that there was a channel imbalance. As I don’t have an azimuth adjustment, there is not much I can do about it.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by CageyH CageyH wrote:

I did notice in Audacity that there was a channel imbalance. As I don’t have an azimuth adjustment, there is not much I can do about it.

Adjusting azimuth won't necessarily fix channel balance issues anyway. See the diagram below:

By the time you start adjusting azimuth radically to fix channel balance you end up with the physical position of the stylus out of whack, which is not good. Azimuth adjustment is mainly to optimize crosstalk values or crosstalk phase, depending on your philosophy around the procedure. 

It is very common for carts to have 1-2dB differences in channel balance straight from the factory. Many allow for that in their factory specs. 

Of course if you recording needledrops you can always fix channel imbalance digitally. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 6:07pm
Thanks for the info.
I did not want to change anything between the needle drops.
I just wanted to present it as it was, warts and all.
Kevin
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 6:30pm
Do you still have adjustable antiskate, Kevin?
That can also have an effect, and it's easier to adjust with headphones on and a setup record.
I use the HiFi News producers cut, and you can really easily make out resonances and channel balance easily.

Edited by Chris Firth - 02 Oct 2020 at 6:30pm
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 7:11pm
I do.
I just don't have a set up record - yet. Wink
Kevin
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 7:43pm
Side 1, 2nd track from the runout is a good one.
Many folk have gone insane trying to get the last track to play nice, so don't get too wrapped up with it Wink
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 9:43pm
Thanks Kevin for sharing these tracks so we can all hear the impact of the Houdini. You have certainly tempted me to try one.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic