FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

New member interested in phono stages

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
mdnicke2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mdnicke2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member interested in phono stages
    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 2:11am
Hello all! 
I am excited to be a part of what is clearly a fantastic forum. It is rare these days to see people interact with each other on the internet with dignity and positivity. 
I recently bought an X2 turntable with a Sumiko Moonstone. With my CXA80 and LS50s, my phono stage (Cambridge Duo) is clearly the weak link in my system. From what I have read (and I’ll give credit to Mikey Fremer for my introduction to this company) that Graham Slee phono stages are where it’s at. What I’m trying to decide is whether or not I should go with the Reflex M or Accession. I love that there is a loaner program, but I’d really rather not pay all of those shipping costs if I don’t have to.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 8:34pm
Hi Matthew
I have the same make of turntable 4 years old now, but a higher end model with the Ortofon 2M Bronze cart and I have the Reflex M with the PSU1 power supply and I find it vary good indeed and with room to improve on a much better turntable ( I wish ) before I would have to up grade to the Accession, That's my thinking any how. I am not saying the Accession is over the top for what you have, but I find the Reflex M "THAT GOOD" 
I am sure you will get a more detailed advice from someone on this forum that's better at putting It across than I am (that's for sure)
Jonathan

Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 8:45pm
Me again
Just seen
Go to, Write a Review on the this forum and you will find (Reflex M phono Stage and PSU Review) 
That is a lot better than I can do
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
mdnicke2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdnicke2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 9:51pm
Thank you so much for the response and the suggestion. I will check it out. My main concern is I don’t want to regret my purchase and then end up buying something new, but I also don’t want to spend extra money if I’m not really going to get much out of it. The extra couple hundred dollars would help with a RCM and a CD player (I know... CDs... but I the CXC so seamlessly meshes with my CXA and CXN I just don’t know if I can resist it).
Pro-j X2, Sumiko Moonstone, Cambridge Duo, Cambridge CXA80, KEF LS50
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 10:25pm
I doubt a purchase of an Accession MM or MC would be a regrettable one. I say buy the best phono stage you can afford to alleviate the need for upgrading in the future and to best judge the other equipment you use it with.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
mdnicke2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdnicke2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 10:32pm
Thank you for your input. I appreciate it!
Pro-j X2, Sumiko Moonstone, Cambridge Duo, Cambridge CXA80, KEF LS50
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by mdnicke2 mdnicke2 wrote:

Thank you so much for the response and the suggestion. I will check it out. My main concern is I don’t want to regret my purchase and then end up buying something new, but I also don’t want to spend extra money if I’m not really going to get much out of it. The extra couple hundred dollars would help with a RCM and a CD player (I know... CDs... but I the CXC so seamlessly meshes with my CXA and CXN I just don’t know if I can resist it).

I doubt you will regret anything, especially if you use the loaner program. Remember it is also possible to try out more than one phono stage at a time, so long as your loan coordinator has them available - AFAIK. You could take a listen to three different models and decide for yourself what is best for your system. 

RE: the RCM I do recommend one especially if you have a lot of old vinyl or like to purchase used vinyl. No used record touches my TT without being cleaned first. 

RE: the CD player/transport, nothing wrong with that at all. I still play a lot of CDs (I have over 4,000+) and listen to the physical discs often even though I have a USB DAC and have ripped a large portion of my collection. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic