FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Communicator V Rega Fono mm Mk3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
fluddite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Communicator V Rega Fono mm Mk3
    Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Frogmann Frogmann wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I have the communicator on loan and do like it. But I would need to buy the Rega to try it out. 

Hi Ben

Did you get my PM?

f.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 4:28pm
Buying the Rega just to find out if you like is a lot of money to find out you prefer the Graham Slee. Have your time with the communicator and enjoy it. I don't think you will regret it

Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Frogmann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frogmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 8:09am
thanks all for the advice
Frogmann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frogmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 10:26am
Thanks for the reply. I have the communicator on loan and do like it. But I would need to buy the Rega to try it out. 
DT999 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DT999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 12:52am
I have a Rega TT and  a Thorens TT and a Rega  Elex-R amp. I used to  run one table into the rega built in phono stage and the second through a Rega Fono MM mk2. 

I tried a GSP unit through the loaner program to compare, and found a significant improvement to the extent that I now have 2 GSP phono stages. The Rega is OK, nothing wrong with it, but GSP for me a major step up.

I suggest trying one through the loaner program as ultimately only you can decide what you like with your gear in your listening room.
Rega Planar 3 > Accession MM / Thorens TD160 > Reflex M > Modwright LS100 tube preamp > Solo ULDE / Proprius > Monitor Audio Silver 500 / 2 x SVS SB1000 subwoofers
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 3:52am
Originally posted by Frogmann Frogmann wrote:

I was looking at the Fono MM mk3. 

I haven't heard that particular unit, but do have a Rega unit I use with a secondary turntable, which I would call "okay". Same deal with another Rega unit I've heard (prior gen, not the latest model). 

The trouble with the Rega phono stages, IME, is that they have a rather dull sound. Why? I don't know, probably something to do with the design. 

Most of us ended up here because we wanted something better than just "okay". 

Take that FWIW. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Frogmann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frogmann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 11:14pm
I was looking at the Fono MM mk3. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic