FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Newby from Barnsley

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Marky66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marky66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newby from Barnsley
    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 5:19pm
Hi folks, thanks for adding me.
 I have the classic, found a Rega in the loft during lockdown, bought 3 records, plugged it in and just like back to the future it's 1978, story. My trusty 1985 planar 2 has been decommissioned and has a bias 2 fitted. I bought a rega io and I have been using it Ouchto power my AKG headphones but have just reclaimed my yamaha hp2's from the kids PlayStation.
I am already amazed at how much lost detail there is in a record versus spotify but dont want to get carried away. 
I have some questions; first is a headphone amp overkill for a Planar 2?
Are HP2's still any good? Does anyone replace earpads locally? Will a headphone amp mean I have to upgrade everything?  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  
Marky66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marky66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 5:47pm
should have read “Rega has been recommissioned” no point getting an amp if I decommissioned it eh. 
Anyway ebay just found me a replacement headband for the hp1s so Next question is a headphone amp the next right thing??
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 10:41am
Welcome aboard!
   Headphone amps have always given me a superior performance than any inbuilt unit I’ve owned. More detail, better dynamics, more engaging, more music. Try out what fits your budget via the loan scheme and find out if the improvements are worth the outlay to you.  My experience has been that a headphone amp lets me hear more of the performance of my headphones and source.

As for whether or not it would mean upgrading everything else, that’s up to you. For me, I’ve simply enjoyed getting more from what I already own.
Best of luck,
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Bi-wire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi-wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 2:45pm
Welcome to the forum Marky. Barnsley eh, you could almost get personal service from the man himself! I seem to remember a strapline that said something like, 'Real hifi comes from Barnsley' LOL

As for a headphone amp, it'll definitely be worth your while looking into getting the best out of your Rega Planar 2.
Peter

Satisfied user of: Revelation M, PSU1-Enigma, Solo SRGII and lots of CuSat50
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 10:12pm
Thanks for joining us Mark.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 12:10am
Welcome.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic