FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

PSU1 question.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
iz_thewiz149 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iz_thewiz149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PSU1 question.
    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 8:40am
Hi Guys, 

I have a question in regards to the PSU1 power supply which I have currently connected to an Era Gold V. 

The majority of my studio equipment is powered by a Furman M-10XE power conditioner, I would like to also power the PSU1 power supply via the same power conditioner but the Era Gold V manual states that "It is recommended that the Era Gold is left powered-up constantly so the circuit is temperature stabilized at all times". I have owned the Era Gold V + PSU1 since mid/late 2018 and have followed the advice of leaving it powered on at all times, which should constitute a considerable burn-in phase. 
Regardless, the reason why I would like run the PSU1 from the power conditioner is that there is the smallest amount of noise being observed from the Era Gold signal. I spend a lot of time digitising vinyl, which involves recording into a DAW, editing, various noise reduction algorithms, and rendering. I can monitor the input signal from the Era Gold and not only can I hear the noise (very small buzz) it also will meter if I drive my audio interface pre amps. 

Now obviously I do not leave my studio space powered on 24/7, and if the PSU1 power supply is indeed patched into the power conditioner then it will inevitably be powered off. What would be the most obvious repercussions of not leaving the Era Gold powered on 24/7? Also worth mentioning, as a test when monitoring the noise (very small buzz) it will fluctuate depending on where the Era Gold is placed. Currently it is roughly 2 inches away from my near field monitors , raised off my timber 19" racks with a small box. There is less noise observed by raising it slightly. The PSU1 is currently positioned on the floor (carpet) also slightly raised up by the original product box. All power cables are coiled and signal cable is separated. 

Any thoughts? Thanks for the read.   
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 12:15pm
I think the main issue will be the time it takes for the circuits to war up to normal operating temperature.
I would personally try it and see which works best.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Cyreg View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 2:17pm
IMO when you switch off the power conditioner, than quickly change the powerconnector of the PSU1 to a seperate wallconnector (with or without a longer lead)
For normal use you just should keep it powered on! (2 minutes 'no power on' to change will be no problem)

When you switch on again, change the PSU1 connector back to the power conditioner

Edited by Cyreg - 11 Jul 2020 at 2:28pm
TecnoDec/RB250/MP110>GramAmp2C/PSU1; Cyrus CD8SE; Cyrus FM7 > Exposure XXXV > Harbeth C7ES-3 '35th Anniversary'
cabling: IC 3x DNM V3; LScable Exposure DMF-two; Furu TP60 + MWaY and AH! powercords   
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 2:55pm
Welcome to the forum Matt.
From what you say about the hum changing when you move your Era Gold I would suspect hum pickup  from something nearby. It would be unusual for the PSU1 output to produce noticeable hum in connected equipment.
Have you tried the PSU1 via your power conditioner? Does it reduce or eliminate the hum?

Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2020 at 7:39pm
Check the arm tube is actually screening the wires inside it.

This is an arm I had to eventually reject because it relies on the bearings to conduct the ground to the arm tube, and the film of lubricant prevents it, even after nearly 30 years!

arm base conducts ground

As can be seen, connecting arm base to arm base components shows conducting ground.

arm tube not grounded

Shame the arm tube has no protection at all (open circuit)

Any ac mains magnetic field in the vicinity will be picked up as hum by the wires inside the tube.

Any ac mains vibration of the arm tube is fed into the magnetic circuit of the cartridge, and is worse with MM because of the greater number of turns of its fixed coils.

However, there's worse to come, because neither is there any shielding at radio frequencies, and electro-magnetic waves can set-off oscillations at any point in the amplification chain, often emitting a buzz.

So please check for ground continuity. We need to realise we are dealing with 19th century mentality in the 21st century, with its crowded electro-magnetic spectrum.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
VinodCrispon View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VinodCrispon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 6:19am
If the "Roksan Tabriz" tonearm is showing such poor screening / Shielding, how good are the cheaper ones by "Project". Since, MM being very sensitive to AC Mains EMF & Vibrations (Greater number of Turns in Fixed coils), Does it mean the industry is promoting MC to cover-up the flaws in the way the MM is handled (Like the poor tone-arm design)? Also is it because the MC can be controlled much better with components downstream like a SUT or better Phono Design?
Vinod Vincent

Elevator & Accession w PSU-1/ Majestic w Enigma/ Cusat/ Lautus
TT: Amazon 1(Candenza Bronze)
Amp: Accuphase E650
CD/Streamer: OPPO UDP205/CYRUS StreamX2
Speaker: Dynaudio Contour S3.4
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2020 at 9:51am
In this respect, vibration is a word I choose to use to describe the action of a magnetic field on a metallic item (such as an arm tube, or even a power supply chassis). In my early days, I spent many hours hunting down hum in an amplifier. I eventually found after removing the amplifier circuit, that the hum persisted. To some, that would be magic! However, it just happened to be a (non-hi-fi) transformer-coupled amplifier, and the mains transformer was putting its 50Hz vibration into the aluminium chassis. The chassis' vibration was inducing it into the output transformer at the other end of the chassis. The speaker load was roughly 0.6 ohms (yes, 0.6), and that was why it had to have a transformer output. It wasn't that the transformer was cheap either. Sowter had purposely designed it.

In the radio spectrum, the vibrations which cause interference are coupled through the atmosphere. A transmitter of some kind vibrates the atmosphere, and any antenna in the atmosphere is vibrated to some degree. Distance is useful to assist in isolation because attenuation works similarly to that of sound in air.

These couplings are far more efficient in resulting in interference than a design quirk of an amplifier stage. The turntable and its pick-up should be designed to minimise their susceptibility to such couplings, but there is no pressing need to do so. This is because there is no EMC legislation for turntables. In hi-fi, we are led to believe that the source is of most importance. We spend absolute fortunes on "improvements" to the vinyl front-end, but the legislators take the opposite approach. To the legislators, vinyl ceased to exist, and so is not worth their time. They see us as a few harmless Luddites, so they let us get on with it in our way, where instead, for vinyl to flourish again, it requires some new rules.

I have rewired arms in such a way as to comply with similar legislation, and the results are considerably better, and result in comparative silence. I have told two tonearm manufacturers about it, but they ignore me or laugh at me. Instead, they make them of carbon fiber (may as well be plastic) or drill holes in them.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic