FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

The Audio Science Review Forum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819>
Author
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 4:34pm
Here is a screen shot of Miller Audio Research/Paul Miller's measurement of the Communicator from back in 2008.

Notice how the gain spec is close to what we expect from GS based on the factory specs of the Communicator and DAK Genera.

Now, ASR measured the gain at 38.7dB. This is the second time they failed to measure gain correctly on a GS product BTW.

Guess who probably screwed up? Guess who doesn't care to admit their mistakes or correct them or even consider for a moment that they could be wrong?

Guess what third party has measured WAY MORE equipment over a much longer period of time than ASR?

SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 5:36pm
Three years I've had good measurements from my "retro" transistor amplifier. Perhaps I could have sold each design to some cheapskate Chinese manufacturer. Actually they could have simply copied my many circuit diagrams. Did any sound good enough for me to risk my reputation? No!

Will I ever get paid back for all that work? No! And I never do, because all the review magazines swooned over somebody else all these past 24 years.

We did get a really good review for the Era Gold V from Mr Fremer, but the really interesting thing was the exact same Era Gold V had just got a 2 star fail in Hi-Fi Choice. They spent most of the review talking about a chap called Timmy, whoever that is...

Therefore, to make a normal working man's living, we three have to charge enough to pay ourselves - that's all.

The people the review magazines (and ASR) support are those who are comfortably off - that ship in the sub assemblies bulk from China. You only need look at the stock figures for those registered on the UK's Companies House. So, if it happens here...

But, you see, while ever real customers hear what we do, we continue to receive orders, and that keeps us going. In most circumstances though, they only get to hear what we do through the loaner program, but prior to that most don't have any faith in us, and it's obvious why. Plenty out there don't like us, but by now we're used to that.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 6:37pm
Hi Graham,
I’ve spend years messing about with “HiFi” buying this that and the other. Since I bought your kit and cables I’ve not even considered moving on to something else. Everything just sounds right. The sparkle has never left.

KR
Chris
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 6:43pm
To me reviews are very subjective.
To me something may well sound vary good but to someone else it may not be bad they just don't like that type sound. It must be the same for reviewers to some extent, you can't be totally unbiased, I don't care what people say. I had a mate who liked a lot of bass and thought his HiFi sounded good but his brother and me thought the bass was over powering, But like his brother said to me "that's the way he likes it" how are we to say it sounds bad.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 6:49pm
Graham
You can't doing a bad job you have a lot of happy customers and returning ones at that, me being one of them.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 5:41am
The hi-fi volume control 

No, I'm not going to discuss the feel of velvet or the colour blue. Or how to remote control a motor pot.

What I still can't get through my thick skull is why the hi-fi volume control only goes to mid-day?

I've handled quite a few, and can tell you that they physically rotate from "7 to 5" (o'clock), so why just "7 to 12"?

You see, although they rotate past "12", that's where the distortion monster lives, in the land of burnt out speakers.

I was once told that the volume control is set at "12" and the input signal increased to the point where the amplifier clips, then backed off a little so it's just below clipping.

The input signal is then measured, and that's the sensitivity of the amplifier!

Hmm, I thought there are special hospitals for that kind of thinking, and if that fails, perhaps an exorcism?

Ever measured a volume pot! The rest of the rotation increases the output 20dB (or thereabouts) which is another ten times the size of the sensitivity. No wonder the distortion monster lives up there, in the land of burnt out speakers!

However, in professional audio of the type used in the land of recording and broadcasting, the maximum output is measured with the pot fully open, at "5".

Done like that, turning it down to half way, it sounds half as loud - clever hey?

And then turning it down little by little it sounds quieter and quieter until all you hear is a tiny whisper, or nothing at all.

The volume control has a logarithmic law, which means it follows our hearing and its sense of scale.

I've looked up EN61938 and I can find no mention of the midday volume control setting, and therefore it must be some hi-fi lunacy that some non-technical person's superstitious mind decided.

What I do know, is that some hi-fi reviewers that dabble in measurement, work that way, and often their results differ so widely from a manufacturer's spec, they do all kinds of reasoning to make their test fit.

Obviously, the equipment from manufacturers who comply with the "witchcraft", measure "perfectly", and are non-suspect.

Occasionally I get a customer saying there's insufficient volume to get a loud-enough sound when using one of our phono stages. I ask them if they turned their amp's volume up further than "12"? A few find it so frightening that they refuse and demand I give the phono stage more gain.

But I work to EN61938.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2022 at 6:37pm
Graham
You have jogged my memory I remember reading about this a long time ago and I never took much notice of it. Of all the amps I've had in the past including the one I have now I have never got much near 12 o'clock, apart from being too loud for me at this point I also had to consider the neighbours. I can remember thinking why have a volume control that can go well past 12 if it could damage your speakers past this point, I was young and probably didn't understand what I was reading.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819>
  Share Topic