FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

The Audio Science Review Forum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 19>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by patientot patientot wrote:

Graham, I'm no engineer, but I think this must explain the problem. Looks like a 20 ohm output was used which recorded the gain at 59.2dB instead of 62dB. I actually thought they might have been testing an older version of the Reflex C because the gain didn't match current specs. Looks like it was just tested wrong.

Here's my layman's arithmetic. 

59.2db = a gain factor of 912

The correct gain factor should be 1260

912 divided by 1260 = 72.38%

Oh, and by the way, I didn't know that was one of his measurements/complaints before I wrote

I never visited his website and I don't recall you telling me about this.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 5:05pm
@ David, I'm interested in his suggestion that the Reflex C has a rumble filter, according to John C. As I refuse to be wound-up by ASR, I won't go along myself to look. Like most people my age I have to consider my blood pressure.

John C mentioned something about the FFT which allegedly illustrates a peak in the response due to the "rumble filter". Can you explain this for me?

PS: you may not be an engineer but you're good at the maths!
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Originally posted by patientot patientot wrote:

Graham, I'm no engineer, but I think this must explain the problem. Looks like a 20 ohm output was used which recorded the gain at 59.2dB instead of 62dB. I actually thought they might have been testing an older version of the Reflex C because the gain didn't match current specs. Looks like it was just tested wrong.

Here's my layman's arithmetic. 

59.2db = a gain factor of 912

The correct gain factor should be 1260

912 divided by 1260 = 72.38%

Oh, and by the way, I didn't know that was one of his measurements/complaints before I wrote

I never visited his website and I don't recall you telling me about this.

Right, this confused me at first but now that you have explained the output from the analyzer was wrong I understand, or at least well enough for a layman. 

SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

@ David, I'm interested in his suggestion that the Reflex C has a rumble filter, according to John C. As I refuse to be wound-up by ASR, I won't go along myself to look. Like most people my age I have to consider my blood pressure.

John C mentioned something about the FFT which allegedly illustrates a peak in the response due to the "rumble filter". Can you explain this for me?

PS: you may not be an engineer but you're good at the maths!

His frequency response test (inverse RIAA test tones?) shows a "hump" of 0.5dB from around 30Hz to 50Hz, which gradually tapers off before showing a very accurate RIAA curve response. Amir calls that a "bass boost" and concludes it is due to a high pass rumble filter. 

Having read your previous posts on not liking rumble filters this obviously has me confused. 

Re: Amir's complaints, it seems his main complaints were the overload margin, which he assumes is too small and will exaggerate clicks and pops, and the mains noise and general distortion. I will conclude that the latter is due to the wrong input on his analyzer as you explained above. 

Edited by patientot - 13 Jan 2021 at 5:20pm
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 5:49pm
it also proves the point that he has never listened to one.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by CageyH CageyH wrote:

it also proves the point that he has never listened to one.

He doesn't like vinyl AFAIK and does not even own a turntable AFAIK. His forte is mainly digital audio, again, AFAIK. 
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 5:58pm
So it is likely to be a completely unbiased review then?
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 19>
  Share Topic