FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Accession Ordered!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 9:26am
Hi All,
   Accession MC now located on my hifi rack! Thanks to @cheekyboy of the Australian loan scheme, and to the snowed-under John for building such a terrific unit. Cold out of the box it sounds very bloody good, so bring on any burn-in improvement that may come!
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Pushpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 2:19am
I get to count myself a part of the club. Accession MM ordered! It’s used, has a ding on it, but seller says works great. It comes with PSU1 but I already have an Enigma. Cost was about as much as I paid for my Reflex M new from a dealer, so I might be able to recover quite a bit of the funds by selling the Reflex...if I can part with it. I might want to keep it for my second TT. 

Excited! Did not expect to upgrade so soon but when a good deal comes along you have to jump. 
P******t Debut Carbon, Goldring 1042, GS Accession MM w/Enigma, GS Solo ULDE w/PSU1, Sennheiser HD6XX, Technics SU-800 IA, Castle Knight 1, PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, Lautus & CuSat50
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 2:44am
Congrats! I hope it brings you many years of enjoyment.
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Pushpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 5:18pm
received the Accession MM four days ago now. This is used and owned for 3 years so I assumed would be fully broken in and I would just need to plug it in and play for the full Accession experience. I was in for a surprise as for the first two days the Accession sounded good but I preferred my Reflex M with PSU1 over the Accession with Enigma in every comparison I did. I was getting worried. The Reflex sounded just as nice and also had a wider soundstage. I wondered if I was encountering a bad match with my headphones (HD6XX)? 

On the third night (last night) I had another listening session using a lot of the same records as the previous night. This time, I preferred the Accession. The soundstage has bloomed and although I think the Reflex might still have had a slightly  wider soundstage in horizontal direction, the Accession’s soundstage was “round” as in tall and wide. It was a new experience to have a soundstage like that. All of a sudden, the Reflex sound seemed a bit flat, or squished- not something I would have thought before hearing the alternative. 

In addition to the expanded soundstage, there was more realism in the instruments and voices, and more impact when bass or drums were present. 

I will say that this comparison has shown me how good the Reflex M is. The sound quality is superb. But the Accession was named for being top dog and after it had three days to warm up, it has started to show its superiority. I can only guess it will improve further. 

I would not have expected it to take so long for a broken in unit to sound how it should. Break in and warm up are mysterious to me. It made me recall something I read Steve Hoffman say on the subject: that it can take 30 days for some solid state equipment to warm up to ideal temperature. 

Also, when I got the Accession (which was FedExed from the US to Canada) it was quite cold to the touch. Maybe things got too cold and it needed that time to warm up. 
P******t Debut Carbon, Goldring 1042, GS Accession MM w/Enigma, GS Solo ULDE w/PSU1, Sennheiser HD6XX, Technics SU-800 IA, Castle Knight 1, PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, Lautus & CuSat50
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 5:27pm
I disagree about thermal temperature being the (main) reason for the change; I think it is more about energy stored in the circuits. Electronic components need on-time for their charge to stabilise. Previously used circuits with a long history of on-time need less on-time than brand new circuits to return to their optimum state. Charge behaviour in the circuit determines the propagation of electromagnetic waves which directly influences how the signal is conveyed to the listener.

Edited by Ash - 04 Oct 2020 at 6:17pm
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Pushpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 6:50pm
ok maybe should say it took 3 days to “charge up”? All I know is the thing had to be plugged in for 3 days to start sounding as it should. 

Edited by Pushpaw - 04 Oct 2020 at 6:51pm
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 7:10pm
That is how I look at it. Thermal temperature stabilises pretty quickly once switched on. Reaching charge stability is much more prolonged and subtle process. I would be interested to read the ideas on this topic from people who are much better educated/informed to speak than I am.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic