FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Colour of Vinyl. black is best

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
fluddite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fluddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 1:01am
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

I am sure all vinyl is clear so even black vinyl has to have the black added to it 

Or not - to take the case of one of my all-time favourite LPs:

As the great John Peel wrote in Disc (I used to read it before graduating to the NME Wink) in 1972:

The first time I heard tell of Faust was when I saw their extraordinary first LP in its equally extraordinary sleeve and felt that, regardless of the music within, I had to acquire one. When the music turned out to be highly original and very exciting that was a welcome bonus.

I also remember it featuring in an NME competition at the time that they ran their first-ever '100 Best LPs of All Time' list in 1974 (see http://www.rocklistmusic.co.uk/nme_writers.htm#100_74 for details). The gimmick - repeated with the lists of 1985 and 1993, but not 2003 - was that they'd only listed 99 LPs, and readers had to write a 200-word justification for why their choice of unpicked album should be no. 100. The winner got copies of the other 99 titles - unforgivably IMHO, these went in 1974 to someone who raved about the Stones' somewhat turgid Goats Head Soup. However, NME actually printed their choice of the best 10 entries, including one which ruminated pithily for 190 words or so on the groundbreaking qualities of Faust and then ended with the immortal single paragraph:

"Also I like to watch it go round."

I won't embarrass myself by saying what my entry was about - suffice to say it didn't make the best 10.... Embarrassed

RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 10:46am
I only own 4 of the albums in that NME top 100 link.Unhappy
 'Sounds' was my rag of choice in the early 80s, for their take on rock & metal.Smile

Coloured vinyl always looks like a gimmick - although I have a few that sound fine.
As said, picture discs sound noisy & are even more of a gimmick. I was fool enough to pay
£40 or so for Amused to Death - the £12 CD SQ is far superior.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 1:49pm
The picture disc I have by Blondie, album Plastic Letters the sound quality on CD and black vinyl is far better as is said the P/D is a gimmick just to sell more records to the fans thinking it be worth more in years to come, Or like me have got back into collecting vinyl after years of buying CDs, by the way that album came out in 2016 and I all ready had it on CD and vinyl (that says it all) I feel like a mug now buying it. I buy CDs and Vinyl to listen to them not as a investment. 
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
sheepskinstu View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sheepskinstu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 5:10pm
I've got a few picture discs and they're a cracklefest in the main. Coloured vinyl is everywhere now and largely a sales gimmick for people who don't actually play records. A good pressing is a good pressing regardless of the colour in my experience. You learn who takes care and who doesn't.
fluddite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fluddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by patientot patientot wrote:

Picture disks are not regular vinyl. They are made entirely differently. 

This one - in my wife's collection Wink - is certainly "made entirely differently"....

Mind you, their first album was definitely "none more black".... Wink

f.
fluddite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fluddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 11:03pm
And while on the (sort of) subject of odd-sounding vinyl of any colour - does anyone else share my weakness for flexidiscs of various kinds - Lyntone being the premier UK exponents IIRC? While I seem to have lost all my NME and Sounds giveaways from the 1970s, I still have a treasured copy of this 1968 gem (free with box tops from Ricicles) - which I would claim is a strong contender for "first ever concept album", predating as it does both S.F.Sorrow and Tommy:

If you really want to test your TT's tracking capabilities, what I say is - forget those HiFi test records - try your cart/arm/TT combo out on one of these beauties.... Wink

fluddite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fluddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by RichW RichW wrote:

I only own 4 of the albums in that NME top 100 link.Unhappy

It's certainly a moment in time - just before punk/new wave/post-punk, when there was getting to be quite a full set of assumptions about the "rock canon" (as opposed to ELP's "rock cannon" Wink) among writers for the music "inkies" - and therefore, by extension, among us impressionable army-surplus-greatcoat-wearing teenage readers. As if to demonstrate that first cuts are often the deepest - the impact of 1977's "Year Zero" notwithstanding - I probably owned only a dozen or so of that list in 1974. Now I own 63 - some in multiple pressings (particularly mono + stereo). And of the other 36 - or 37 counting Goats Head Soup - I'd only want to own, at most, another six or seven. Perhaps I should try the same exercise for the 1985, 1993 and 2003 lists to find the point at which I really became a superannuated old fart? Shocked

PS - Just looked at that 1974 list again. No. 46 is listed as "Anthology - Smoky Bacon & The Miracles". The joys of proofreading, eh? Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic