FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Quadraphonic sound experience?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Craig75 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 2:36pm
on the subject of quadraphonics... somewhat remarkably there is a brand new qs / sq decoder and qs encoder on the market and an attempt to standardize quad sound going forward across all media

Apparently even normal stereo records can have something akin to quad encoding in them  as a byproduct of the mastering which can then be decoded into quad. 

Not something youd want to do with every record but id imagine some 70s german cosmiche or other genres could really benefit from it.

There was even quad issues of Impulse Jazz which i had no idea about.

Craig75 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Originally posted by Craig75 Craig75 wrote:

Has anyone any experience with quadraphonic sound?

I had an Amstrad IC2000 Mk4 with "automatic quadrasound". Pink Floyd's Interstellar Overdrive spun round, and round, and...

Haha i can imagine. People say Electric Ladyland decodes amazingly into quad too.

Edited by Craig75 - 01 Jul 2020 at 2:49pm
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 9:16pm
I have fed a few of my LP rips through my high spec AV amp and it certainly surrounds you. Sometimes its does open up the mix a bit to be fair. Obvious tip is just use it as a decoder, start with Dolby and DTS which both have music modes you can tweak, and don't add any DSP for ambience/hall reverb.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic