FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Quadraphonic sound experience?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 7:38pm
Everything I know about the Quad vinyl format says that it was short lived because it had a lot of problems. One issue is that you will need a cartridge that is capable of picking up very high frequencies with a very fine stylus, because that is where the quad carrier signal is on the records. 

And if you are picking up used quad albums, you'd better cross your fingers that the carrier signal is still there on the record as certain types of cartridges could shave it off the grooves entirely. Then there is the associated equipment you'd need to go along with it. All that is a considerable expense and hassle for what is essentially a dead format with problems. 

If you still want to pursue it, you might want to read the Quadrophonic wiki article first, then check this site for more info:

There is a section specifically devoted to old quad/CD-4 vinyl. 

Now, if I were going to set up a surround system today (which I'm not) I would probably focus on digital formats. These are still being produced along with the equipment to support them. 

Edited by patientot - 28 Jun 2020 at 7:39pm
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 7:59pm
the price of Vinyl is high and I do not see them coming down any time soon that said I got myself a box set of The Human League new for £74 last year, this year on line It was down to £40 new, then I seen It for £80 second hand don't make sense and it was not just one seller.
All I can say is the seller with the new copy had not checked out the second hand prices
But with you now having to pay £200 or so now That's steep. (What) was the price of the Quadraphonic recording ?
I was hearing last year of a Vinyl pressing plant burning down I think it was in the USA that's only going to keep prices high for new Vinyl and I bet that has a knock on affect on second hand prices too
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

I was hearing last year of a Vinyl pressing plant burning down I think it was in the USA that's only going to keep prices high for new Vinyl and I bet that has a knock on affect on second hand prices too

It wasn't a pressing plant. It was a plant that manufactures lacquer disc blanks, one of only two in the world. The only remaining plant is a one man operation in Japan. That means a serious bottleneck on vinyl production unless everyone wants to switch to DMM or they happen to use a mastering facility that cuts on lacquer blanks from Japan. The vast majority of lacquers were cut with the blanks from the U.S. plant and the Japanese facility isn't accepting new customers. It will take some time before the fallout really surfaces from this, because lacquers are usually cut months in advance of LP pressing, sometimes up to a year in advance. 

SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Craig75 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Craig75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 11:29pm
at the start of the 2000s people were finding big warehouses full of dead stock 1970s african vinyl and starting shipping it ovet in bulk. Supply was high and demand was modest so it was easy to pick amazing things up super clean for £20 to £50. £50 for second hand record is a lot of money to me but some things youd only see once every few years so youd paybthe piper. As the decades went on it turned out a lot of these records had tiny presses of 500 or less and now the old warehouses were empty and demand was high so prices quadrupled. Some things i saw go up ×10 from 200 to 2000 and it became the domain of the highrollers who will spend £1000 on a 60s usa psych single or multi hundreds on a reggae 7" so that was me out! Obviously i ended up with record collection worth a lot more than i paid for it 15 years ago but i cant afford to add 1970s originals to it anymore. Thankfully people started finding unreleased material and radio broadcasts and issuing those so i can buy those. I try not to buy rereleased original records though as some of it is very shady and i don't want to support those people.

I was looking at 1970s german krautrock / electronic / quads and a good few i saw were in the £30 to £60 bracket so not cheap but not extortionate (esp compared to some new records). Other genres looked a lot cheaper though as i imagine demand is pretty low. 

If i can get a decoder cheap i will try it just for fun. If i cant find a decoder cheap then the number of potential problems makes it look a big expensive hassle as @patientot described.

Im justva sucker for things like video on vinyl and easily led astray
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 12:47am
Originally posted by Craig75 Craig75 wrote:

at the start of the 2000s people were finding big warehouses full of dead stock 1970s african vinyl and starting shipping it ovet in bulk. Supply was high and demand was modest so it was easy to pick amazing things up super clean for £20 to £50. £50 for second hand record is a lot of money to me but some things youd only see once every few years so youd paybthe piper. As the decades went on it turned out a lot of these records had tiny presses of 500 or less and now the old warehouses were empty and demand was high so prices quadrupled. Some things i saw go up ×10 from 200 to 2000 and it became the domain of the highrollers who will spend £1000 on a 60s usa psych single or multi hundreds on a reggae 7" so that was me out! Obviously i ended up with record collection worth a lot more than i paid for it 15 years ago but i cant afford to add 1970s originals to it anymore. Thankfully people started finding unreleased material and radio broadcasts and issuing those so i can buy those. I try not to buy rereleased original records though as some of it is very shady and i don't want to support those people.

Interesting stuff. I wish I would have collected that stuff back then. I started to leave vinyl for around 10 years in the early 2000s, and would have never known to look for those records anyway. My wife is from Africa, so I am not too keen on supporting shady "reissues" where the proper royalties and licensing fees are not paid to the artists and such. I would be interested in supporting legit outfits though. 

Edited by patientot - 29 Jun 2020 at 12:49am
Craig75 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 2:27pm
Its a mess trying to unpack what looks honest and what isnt. A lot of tapes just happened to 'leave' the mali government's state owned labels archives for instance. Original euro distributor claimed they owned copyrights on tapes even though they were only ever the distro blah blah.

Theres plenty of good honest labels tho - sahel sounds, soundways, terenga, ethiopiques series, analogue africa, hot casa, comb and razor, and a load more.

Edited by Craig75 - 01 Jul 2020 at 2:28pm
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Craig75 Craig75 wrote:

Has anyone any experience with quadraphonic sound?

I had an Amstrad IC2000 Mk4 with "automatic quadrasound". Pink Floyd's Interstellar Overdrive spun round, and round, and...
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic