FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
terryw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terryw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member
    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 5:59pm
Hello my name is Terry and thought I had beter introduce myself. I should mention that my last headphones, Sennheiser were bought about 35 years ago to use with a Rogers Amplifier and then an Arcam, so I am somewhat out of touch.  I lost use of headphones when buying a Naim Nait 5 which had no headphone socket, although missing my headphones this was not such a problem then as now, due to many extra sources and podcasts being available to listen to.
I have been looking for a Headphone Amplifier to feed from the AV or tape out on the Naim to enable me to listen to various sources.

First headphones, probably closed back as my wife sometimes watches television in the evenings, not too expensive because in these strange times you cannot go and listen, also I have no benchmark for what sounds good.
Audio-Technica ATH-M 50X
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
Shure SRH 840
Bearing in mind that I have not heard any of these, will all these work ok with a Nova or Solo SRG II or has anyone got a better suggestion?

Next Headphone Amplifiers, I was going to purchase a Nova but there are quite a number of Forum posts suggesting the Solo SRG II even with its basic power supply could be the better buy due to its upgradable path, would I hear much difference between them?

Would it be a good idea to make use of the loan system to help decide and check if all works with my amplifier?

Sorry for the long post and realise that I probably should have introduced myself here and used the Headphone Audio section for my question.

Must just say it was really nice when joining this Forum to receive a welcome from people running the company, nice personal touch not found too often.

lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 2:34pm
Hi Terry
yes using the loan system is a good way of  comparing  the two better if you can get the two to listen side by side.
As for powering any of the headphones on your list, this should not be a problem at all.
My headphone amp. list below. I don't go above 1/2 way on the volume control ( well some times I do) 
As for headphone amp working with your amp see my post on (connecting headphone amp) 
I have not used closed back headphones ever so can't give you any suggestions on them, But I'm sure someone the Forum can

Jonathan
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 4:30pm
Welcome. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 6:41pm
Welcome Terry,
As mentioned by Jonathon taking advantage of the loan scheme is the best way of deciding which Headphone amp suits you best.
Regarding Headphones I'm not really able to comment on closed back models, I have used Sennheiser HD600s for some time and find they suit me. All 3 you shortlist have good reviews.
I'm sure Ash (and others) will be along soon with his view, he has tried a multitude of 'Phones.
Meanwhile get the loan arranged.

Ian

For what it's worth I just had a look at Which? headphone recommendations, the Sennheiser HD599 and HD300 fare well in their listening tests.

Edited by BackinBlack - 26 Jun 2020 at 6:47pm
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 9:06pm
The best advice I can give is don't buy brand new unless you have already auditioned it thoroughly and know you will like them.

I say: Ebay is your friend. Buy second-hand good condition and look after it in case you decide to sell it and try something else. I would not recommend the ATH-M50. Perhaps try that AKG K240 Studio that others have been praising. Listen for something with a flat frequency emphasis that has an enjoyable engaging rhythm. You'll be surprised how cheap it can be to obtain if you know what to look for.

If I were to go back to conventional headphones, I would be scouting around for a HD540II or HD560II from Sennheiser. These are two models I trust and recommend, but only when they are in good condition.
terryw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terryw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 9:27pm
Thank you for the welcome and of course the very useful advise and information that I have so far received.

Terry

Rega P5 Rega Elys 2 cart. Naim Nait 5. Stageline phono amp. Nait CD5. Arcam tuner. Raspberry pi with IQ audio DAC + Volumio. Royd RR2 speakers.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 10:09pm
An example of something with great potential...

Needs replacement earpads, a good clean out and wipe down and maybe a new cable if it has any damage. £100 initial spend with a possible £50 to put into it to bring up to a high standard.

£150 for the sound you can get is very much worth it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic