FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

How simple can an audio computer be?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 51>
Author
VinodCrispon View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VinodCrispon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 5:19pm
Hi MIck,
I See you are using Mac Book Pro >> ROON to Majestic. Do you use Optical or USB Connection? Which one do you prefer?
Also while you Play from Mac book, do you run it on Battery or you plug-in the laptop Charger in. Do they make any difference (Improvement vs Deterioration).
Cheers,
Vinod Vincent
Vinod Vincent

Elevator & Accession w PSU-1/ Majestic w Enigma/ Cusat/ Lautus
TT: Amazon 1(Candenza Bronze)
Amp: Accuphase E650
CD/Streamer: OPPO UDP205/CYRUS StreamX2
Speaker: Dynaudio Contour S3.4
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 9:11pm
I've decided to scratch the itch. Shall obtain a RPi 2B model and try the HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro or Allo DigiOne Signature HAT with it. No wifi or bluetooth EMI on the board, more USB connections than the A+ form factor, 900MHz quad-core processor and 1GB RAM so less noisy than the 3B/4B. Shall maybe add an Sbooster MKII linear PSU or try Graham's upcoming PSU, which will hopefully be available soon.

I'm not interested in networking it or running it headless/wireless. I want it to be an all-in-one independent unit so will have to be clever with my choice of screen interface.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 9:24pm
Why not just buy a CD player?
A CD player is nothing but a simple computer.
Some even have a USB input where it will read the files on it.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 9:35pm
Already have a USB CD/DVD player. I can just plug it into whatever computer I want.

The Pi is a modular system and can be adapted. I don't like to play CDs, only use them as a source of data.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 10:56pm
I use a RasPi to facilitate easy access to a large local digital library, and accessing subscription content providers.
Being networked is its greatest asset.
It delivers content to the rendering devices on the network in a most efficient manner.

Content that can be controlled, from my smartphone/laptop/IR RC/touching the screen on the rendering device if it has one.

How are you going to update your local library?
I just point material at the storage point and transfer it.
No system down time.

Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 2:01am
Hi Vinod,
    I’ve recently lay moved to a MacBook Air, and I miss optical. I thought it was a tad calmer sounding, less noise. I use optical from my cd transport. Yes, running off battery is also less noisy. 
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
VinodCrispon View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VinodCrispon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 2:34am
Hi Mick,
Thanks for sharing your experience. 
I tried the Mac (Battery Powered) >>> Optical Out >>> DAC it sounded calmer than with the Mac charger connected. 
In my very little experience the optical have always been too bright or thin sounding for my liking. I use optical only for sources I do not have any other option like my Sony Bravia TV & Chromecast Audio.
So you are running optical between the C.E.C TL5 & Majestic? Any reason why you prefer the optical over the Coaxial? What cable are you using? I would like try from my source as well. 
Cheers,
Vinod Vincent
Vinod Vincent

Elevator & Accession w PSU-1/ Majestic w Enigma/ Cusat/ Lautus
TT: Amazon 1(Candenza Bronze)
Amp: Accuphase E650
CD/Streamer: OPPO UDP205/CYRUS StreamX2
Speaker: Dynaudio Contour S3.4
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 51>
  Share Topic