FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

How simple can an audio computer be?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 51>
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 9:36pm
Once I really get into something, I can become quite obsessive about it. I think the email count between Graham and I is already at about 65 messages too. This didn't turn out to be as straightforward as I had hoped but I do hope to make some progress soon.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 9:53pm

Wish I'd seen that sooner.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Ernie Ernie wrote:

I’m sure there used to be a John Smiths bitter advert about this sort of single minded pursuit.

Single-minded, thorough, obsessive... but in the right support group.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 10:23pm
At least you know now that if you have a PCIe x16 slot free, just plug a soundcard into that. Some x16 slots are not actually x16 anyway even though the slot has the full length. If you look carefully into the slot, you will see that the metal contact pins don't always go all the way to the end.

For example, my Z390 Aorus Pro mobo has three "x16" length slots. However, only slot 1 has x16 bandwidth and that shares bandwidth with slot 2 if it's occupied, potentially bringing them down to 2x8. Slot 2 is x8 and slot 3 is x4.

If I get that Pink Faun S/PDIF card and use it with my mini-ITX PC, it will go into a "real" x16 slot, as that is the only one on the board, unless I try converting one of the M.2 slots to PCIe x4.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 8:09am
Right, to business... Now that you have the card working, can you hack the input data? Evil Smile
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 11:10am
I use Foobar2k in Windows because it is a bit more honest about what it's doing.

An example when outputting to a Bitzie, is that it prevents playing 96k files, where VLC "secretly" downsamples.

I just tried changing tone/sweep sampling rate, but I don't really have a clue what this does. It was 44100, but I changed it to 192000, clicked "apply" and heard a difference. If it causes problems I can revert it to 44100.

FB2K prefs - advanced

I also turned games sounds off in W10 control panel.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 2:55pm
"I just tried changing tone/sweep sampling rate, but I don't really have a clue what this does."

A higher sampling rate will require a much larger RAM buffer.

Edited by BAK - 17 Feb 2021 at 2:56pm
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 51>
  Share Topic