FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

How simple can an audio computer be?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4647484950 51>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 1:50pm
Linear power supplies are wasteful of power to start with, but because the EU voltage range goes from 207V to 253V and I have to meet with CE and UKCA (soon), then everything must be overrated. Overrated = costly = big/hot/both = non-stock voltage transformers. On that last item, my transformer manufacturer grew and grew, and with it, lead-times. 35 years loyalty only paid dividends until the owner retired. Samples must now be paid for, usually in three figures, and delivery takes 8 - 16 weeks!

Another problem is the legality, that a single output voltage linear PSU is not legal (in the UK, EU and certain American states). It must have at least two different output voltages available for use at the same time - further complicating design. Kits must also comply!
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Sylvain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sylvain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 4:36pm
Is the venerable Transformer at fault or it's effect in the domestic power supply together with wasteful use of energy. 

Can ' switch mode' be better designed to produce Linear output without noise or a combination of the transformer and inductors but  UNLESS the market shows a DEMAND worthy of investment 
the ''  brains of Britain '' will chose 'SILENCE'' and Swithmode' readily available from Shenguang...and fa warehouse stock full for bitcoin. 
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by Sylvain Sylvain wrote:

Is the venerable Transformer at fault or it's effect in the domestic power supply together with wasteful use of energy. etc...

No.

More than a century of British blindness! I shall not detail any of it here, save to say that I've witnessed, mostly first hand, our technological design and manufacturing being gradually but severely trashed for the past 40 years. We became the opposite of successful - order takers instead of order makers.

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 6:10pm
Any users of the Pi2AES here? Any good?

I just made an impulsive purchase of the Pi2AES Lite, to try with the DAK 5V 3A supply and my Pi3B+. Shall compare it to the Pink Faun soundcard.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 6:37pm
The hat takes the I2S from the pi (parallel audio data) and using a WM8804 outputs S/PDIF (serial audio data) via coax or optical. The "magic smoke" is contained within the WM8804 (R.I.P.)
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 7:03pm
Parallel audio data = data and clock signals are on separate lines?

Serial audio data = data and clock signals are on the same line?

I think this is a safer choice than the Digione Signature. Low risk; if it sucks, sell it on.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2022 at 8:34pm
System clock, bit clock, LR clock, data, so I call it parallel.

The WM8804 encodes it to one wire for coax or optical transmission.

At the other end there is a decoder which splits it back.

The WM8804 was particularly good at doing both - a codec - but Cirrus Logic swallowed Wolfson. Both Cirrus and Wolfson are/were fabless "manufacturers" so when things get/got difficult, chips disappear.

The 4 PCM lines are then applied to a DAC. The WM8741 is also gone for good. So it's a case of looking at what proper manufacturers (Texas/Analog Devices) do to fill the gap, if they can be bothered.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4647484950 51>
  Share Topic