FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

How simple can an audio computer be?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 51>
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 10:06am
I think software will make a big difference because it controls how the hardware is used. However, I also believe in keeping signal paths as short as possible, which brings me back to the use of M.2/NVMe/PCIe over SATA cables or PCIe risers. Maybe it won't make any difference.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 11:35am
I have been thinking about what you said about Majestic USB being limited to 24-bit bit depth and 48kHz sampling frequency (so I should pursue higher resolution coaxial) and I am not convinced that it will matter. In the vinyl vs digital debate, I personally think it is phase integrity that sets them apart, not dynamic range or frequency extension. Timing and phase. And what determines that in digital? The clock. And removing layers of electronic noise.
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 11:40am
CD is usually 16 bit / 44.1 kHz. If you are happy with this, then 24 bit / 48kHz will be fine.
Now the Majestic has come back from loan, I will plug it in and try USB direct from the Mobo. My opinion of USB being “poor” may be a misplaced judgement.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 11:52am
Depending on how well the interface is implemented will determine the mileage you get. As a "universal" means of data transfer, it was not optimised for sending audio data, which is highly dependent on timing. But that doesn't mean it is an incompetent method of audio data transfer. I personally think it is probably the connection with the most potential.

MySphere is an extremely resolving headphone and I have obtained very impressive sound from it using USB. But there is room for improvement, I think.

Edited by Ash - 25 Jan 2021 at 12:00pm
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 11:46pm
Seems you were right Kevin and USB is best avoided for transferring audio. I have found something more sensible than the JCAT USB card XE; a S/PDIF PCIe card, with a 5V input.

Has the option for upgrading the clock too.

Until the motherboard I^2S data stream can be identified and hacked over a short transmission distance, this will probably be as good as computer audio is going to get.

Edited by Ash - 31 Jan 2021 at 11:48pm
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 7:56am
That certainly looks like an option, but from what I have been reading recently, asynchronous USB relies on the clock internal to the DAC. That would mean that buying an expensive clock based device is not required.

I am currently streaming using QoBuz over USB (I borrowed the USB cable from the loan scheme) to my DAC and it sounds more than passable. I am also using a trial version of Audirvana and it seems to sound a bit better than without, although differences are marginal.
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 8:27am
This S/PDIF card with standard clock is also half the price of the JCAT so the approx £400 saving can go towards the £650 Slee 5V 3A supply.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 51>
  Share Topic