FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

How simple can an audio computer be?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 51>
Author
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 6:08pm
A sensible decision. Thumbs Up
Kevin
European loan coordinator, based near Toulouse, France.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 9:48pm
The JCAT USB card XE itch will be being scratched however. The Femto is about the same price range as a USBridge Signature and Digione Signature combo, without linear power supply. Even though one could say £650 is steep for a PSU, I'm still going with Graham's because I know it is a mature design. The JCAT XE doesn't benefit from a USB isolator like the Femto and the tolerances of the clock and regulators are much improved, as well as having automatic power supply selection. For a device of this quality to go into a Bitzie and both having superb regulated power, I can only imagine how glorious the analogue output will sound with MySphere 3.1 when the circuits have "burned in". This is much more exciting than the streamer ideas I have been going over for the last few months and I can compare it to the S/PDIF_0 from the motherboard. The difference between them is going to be very very significant, I think. I'm confident enough to take a blind leap of faith.

P.S I am interested to use one of the USB connections for the DAC of choice and the second USB for perhaps a USB 3.0 CD/DVD/Bluray drive. This could be a very high fidelity way for ripping/playing disc media.

Edited by Ash - 12 Jan 2021 at 9:55pm
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

P.S I am interested to use one of the USB connections for the DAC of choice and the second USB for perhaps a USB 3.0 CD/DVD/Bluray drive. This could be a very high fidelity way for ripping/playing disc media.

Just a minor precisation: no need for USB 3.0 for audio. 2.0 is plenty. My Oppo BDP-105D (CD/DVD/Bluray/SACD and DAC) is permanently connected to a 2.0 USB, and it works even for high resolution 24/96 files.

Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 10:14pm
I'm going to go back to my Hystou mini-PC for a while. I have an idea to use a mini-PC as an audio computer rather than a ATX or mini-ITX motherboard, where the costs of all the parts add up to quite a lot and it offers much more features than I need.

Looks like I could use the mini-PCIe interface with a converter board to plug in a 1x PCIe USB card. I'd like to try it and perhaps look at some more single board computers that can run both Windows and Linux.
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 6:17am
Have you seen this Ash?

Kevin
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 9:39am
I haven't watched this particular video yet but I have been watching several other videos from this youtuber.

There are so many options to choose from and everything is so expensive. I would be dropping hundreds to thousands of pounds on purely blind faith, relying solely on their "expertise". Some of the products on "high-end audio PC" cost silly money and I am skeptical of their true benefit.

A fool and his money are easily parted and perhaps that will be the case for me here.
CageyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 9:57am
I completely agree.
He is using a £350 SATA lead on his £600 60Gb SSD, just for the OS.

Kevin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 51>
  Share Topic