FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Windows 10 sound problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
dogrelata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogrelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows 10 sound problems
    Posted: 18 May 2020 at 11:18am
Back in January I upgraded to Windows 10 on a Dell Optiplex 7010, which hosts Foobar 2000, my main music source.  Around 3 weeks in I started to experience some sound problems when online and occasionally running large spreadsheets, etc, whilst also listening to music. It consists mainly of the music breaking up/distorting, etc.

Breakup comes and goes with it being completely absent some days and totally unlistenable on others.  I've tried a number of suggestions found online, the best of which I started using a few weeks ago and reduces the number of bad days to around one per week.  It prevents any apps taking exclusive control of the DAC. 

The PC uses a Realtek HD audio controller which has been known to produce this type of artifact from what I've read.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who might have experienced and solved this problem. 

Thanks,

Andy.

Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 11:45am
Install the WASAPI plugin for Foobar, and enable it under File/Preferences/Output.

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by Chris Firth Chris Firth wrote:

Install the WASAPI plugin for Foobar, and enable it under File/Preferences/Output.

Great suggestion!

I just updated to W10, and the sound wasn't what I expected. I'm now using event mode and all seems better so far.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 1:38pm
I believe it was someone high up at Roon who said, “a computer is an electrical storm in a box”. Any steps to help are good steps. I have found the AudioQuest Jitterbug very helpful in calming everything down. Not expensive. Worth a punt. 
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
MS61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MS61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 2:13pm
Realtek HD Audio controllers aren´t reliable under Win 10 at all. Most pro users recommnads to switch it off in BIOS/UEFI (if possible) + use decent audio card. Of course - for average users not that usefull (end efficient) solution.

More on this controversial subject in this very long thread at gearslutz.com forum:
(user "Psych..." = Pete is from Microsoft)

I´m using from 1999 only RME audio cards. Expensive, but rock solid, long support and very robust audio drivers. RME ASIO drivers are rock solid in Foobar2000 (you must install ASIO plugin). Plus their Digicheck software is very fine digital audio tool (analyser).

I have my good old RME PCI card HDSP9632 in a drawer unused. If you want to test it, I can arrange a loan. Of course no obligation to buy it. I have no use fo it any more (no PCI slot in my PC).

Michal
Technics SP15 / Audiomods 6 / SH-15B3 plinth / Audio Technica AT 150 Sa / Accession M / Genelec 8030 + RME ADI-2 Pro ADDA
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by dogrelata dogrelata wrote:

Back in January I upgraded to Windows 10 on a Dell Optiplex 7010, which hosts Foobar 2000, my main music source.  Around 3 weeks in I started to experience some sound problems when online and occasionally running large spreadsheets, etc, whilst also listening to music. It consists mainly of the music breaking up/distorting, etc.

Breakup comes and goes with it being completely absent some days and totally unlistenable on others.  I've tried a number of suggestions found online, the best of which I started using a few weeks ago and reduces the number of bad days to around one per week.  It prevents any apps taking exclusive control of the DAC. 

The PC uses a Realtek HD audio controller which has been known to produce this type of artifact from what I've read.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who might have experienced and solved this problem. 

Thanks,

Andy.

Do you leave your computer on 24/7? If so it helps to reboot periodically. What you are experiencing sounds like a resource conflict. Unfortunately computers/software are not 100% stable over time and that's how the reboot can help.

Software updates, either system or apps can have unexpected consequences and is why I still find computers very frustrating at times. I was a DOS/Windows user from the earliest days until switching to a Mac a couple of years ago which I find more stable - but not bulletproof
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub
MS61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MS61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 9:37am
Regarding you problems: If I remember correct, most audio tuning tips aren´t relevant much in Win 10. (Old ASIO priority and another low latency tip for pro audio etc.)

Maybe this simple one: did you try to change system sounds? I strongly recommand to set it to "No sound". That´s the same old panel "Sound". Just set "Sounds Scheme" to "No sounds" and uncheck "Play windows startup sound". It´s worth a try definitely.

And of course you can play a little bit with another presets within this old applet (window).

Michal

Technics SP15 / Audiomods 6 / SH-15B3 plinth / Audio Technica AT 150 Sa / Accession M / Genelec 8030 + RME ADI-2 Pro ADDA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic