FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

PSU1 - Enigma

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Author
Pushpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 11:17pm
why does this thread have to exist? Now I’m going to have to get enigma for my reflex M and my solo ULDE since I know just one won’t be enough. Grrrrr.... but a happy one since I’m always happy to buy an upgrade that will actually do something.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 4:23pm
I replaced the Majestic's PSU1 with the Enigma back in April & it has been well worth it.
Very pleased.
The Majestic tends to get used more than ever now - both with PC via USB & CD transport via coax.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Pushpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 4:41pm
Pulled the trigger on an Enigma. Ordered from Audioarcan which is a great GS dealer here in Canada. 

Will I order a second? Not sure yet. Will see how much it upgrades the ULDE. 

In my mind this is a step on upgrade path to Accession. Will post impressions. 
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 8:19pm
I shall join the Enigma club soon. Eager to hear it improve my Majestic DAC. I am currently having some financial discipline and not making any more audio purchases until a couple more of my things have been sold. I will put my standard PSU1 up for sale immediately afterwards.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 11:58pm
By the way, between the Reflex M and Solo ULDE, I reckon the Reflex M will benefit more from pairing with an Enigma PSU1, purely because the signal order of magnitude is smaller. I suspect there is less room for improvement at the headamp or power amp stage because the noise has already been carried forward and amplified.

Edited by Ash - 09 Sep 2020 at 12:00am
Pushpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 3:31am
interesting theory - I’ll let you know if I notice much difference on the solo ULDE.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 9:00am
For my previous headphone of choice, it sounded the same through a Solo Ultra-Linear (not Diamond Edition) as through a pair of Proprius monoblocks. The Solo UL had a 0.6m pair of CuSat50 cables feeding the standard signal phase from the Majestic DAC RCA line-out and both had a standard PSU1. The Proprius were fed an inverted signal phase from the TRS sockets via a 1.5m Lautus-R3 cable pair using their standard switched mode power supplies.

They sounded the same, to my ears. I am not going to pretend that I could hear a difference. This was only in my case with a 120 Ohm load of low sensitivity. Maybe if the Majestic DAC had an Enigma PSU, one may have sounded better than the other?? Probably not, as both signal paths would have been improved by the Enigma's better handling of the micro-signal domain.

I would postulate that the micro-signal power supply is best prioritised for the stage/s that handle the micro-signal. I think that is where the listener will most likely be able to tell the reproductions apart. Maybe a micro-signal PSU1 may aid signal preservation at and after line level but I doubt I would hear any difference if I failed to tell a PSU1 and SMPS apart.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
  Share Topic