FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

PSU1 - Enigma

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 10:39am
A mains regenerator is well worth considering Mick. The PowerInspired 1500 unit has been in my system
for a few years & has been totally reliable - apart from needing the vents clearing of dust occasionally
to prevent over heating. It is very reasonably priced - perhaps because it wasn't designed primarily
as a hifi component..
Regenerators & mains treatments in general are worth looking into - despite the naysayers.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 9:23am
Hi All,
   my Accession MC arrived, complete with Enigma. Before I plugged mine in, I let the Enigma cook for a while and did some listening with the PSU1 and loaner Accession MC. After a few sides I plugged the Enigma in and sat back to listen to all the same material I'd just heard. Conclusions after half an hour of Enigma, then half an hour of PSU1 and then back to the Enigma are:

1. very much quieter when there's no music playing
2. maintains that quiet when playing music
3. a little wider and much deeper soundstage
4. instruments and voices more tightly focused
5. uncluttered sounding with plenty of time and space
6. the bass is audibly deeper, even on my standmount speakers

These are all improvements I associate with removing noise form the system (reducing the noise floor?) and are a further step along the path from a standard supply to the PSU1. More clarity, less noise. Also a more relaxing listen, because you're not trying to extract the music from the noise. Interestingly, it's exactly the same sensation of "relaxing the sound" that I've experienced when moving to progressively well sorted and quiet DAC's.

So my two cents is that if you're buying the Accession, get the Enigma if at all possible, and don't listen to it on the loan scheme unless you can afford it, because you'll buy it.
Cheers,
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 9:51am
Sounds like you are v vary happy GS owner. I was like that with my 1st GS phono and my last GS which was my solo and PSU1, if only I could afford the Enigma but I DON'T have the funds. May be one day ? 
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Cyreg View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 10:14am
@ Mick, congrats with your fine MC improvement, now could you please tell me if the powercords of the PSU1 and Enigma are exactly the same? Probably is brand I-Sheng all the way? Thx Smile

TecnoDec/RB250/MP110>GramAmp2C/PSU1; Cyrus CD8SE; Cyrus FM7 > Exposure XXXV > Harbeth C7ES-3 '35th Anniversary'
cabling: IC 3x DNM V3; LScable Exposure DMF-two; Furu TP60 + MWaY and AH! powercords   
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 1:21pm
No, they're different. The figure 8 from the wall is the same, but the umbilical from Enigma to Accession is different. 3 pin DIN of heftier gauge.
Cheers,
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Pushpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 2:21pm
Funny, I have 2 PSU1 and they had different cords to wall. The Enigma has the same cord as one of them. Unless I mixed them up at some point and the Enigma had the different cord. There’s the figure 8 as Mick says and the other cord is solid and a bit thicker with a slightly longer connector into the PSU. 
P******t Debut Carbon, Goldring 1042, GS Accession MM w/Enigma, GS Solo ULDE w/PSU1, Sennheiser HD6XX, Technics SU-800 IA, Castle Knight 1, PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, Lautus & CuSat50
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 5:26pm
Please feel free to compare the Enigma DC cable with the PSU1 DC cable.

I did the Enigma PSU for the Accession MC because the input and NFB error voltages in a high gain stage are slightly on the small side. All signal current must flow back to the power supply, but power supplies are essentially brutal especially conventional transformer - bridge rectifier - smoothing capacitor types.

Voltage regulators can only do part of the job. The return signal currents cannot flow backward, and therefore take different paths, depending on their frequencies. Most of the audio range will take the path of least resistance, and much of it travels back to the power supply smoothers.

We ask a lot of those capacitors. Not only must they stand 10 times the load current and go on for several years with 100 (120) Hz ripple, but they need to have good capacitive versus frequency stability and an exemplary dissipation factor. Such beasts are awkward to find, usually cost a bit more, and to ensure continuity of supply, must be bought in bulk and stored - and that's why such products cost more.

The resulting PSU was tried with the Accession MC, and the combination brought out the qualities I wanted and felt were missing previously using a stock PSU1.

The 0V reference was also dealt with. The PSU1 had, for years, a hard-wired modification to place the 0V take-off at a more appropriate point than the original design. The change had improved the sound qualities, but the Enigma took it further, in my opinion.

My conscience would not let me charge considerably more for the Enigma as it stood. There was no visible difference apart from the nameplate, so we decided to fit a locking DIN and make the 0V return the shield of a cable we'd been using to make another item. The cable is then sexily dressed as is the wont in hi-fi circles.

If the DC cable makes another improvement, all well and good, but my prototype used the stock PSU1 cable.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
  Share Topic