FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

PSU1 - Enigma

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
Pushpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 6:49pm
Ash, thanks. I do indeed always have the Reflex powered on as suggested in the manual that came with it. 

What you say about reaching a stable charge makes a lot of sense in terms of what seems to happen when switching cords. There is a real delay before the full Enigma effect is heard. I take it you are saying the optimal charge can take a long time to reach. 

RichW, I agree it wouldn’t need to burn in all over again. I was only suggesting that a further burn in might possibly be necessary? Since presumably the Enigma is pushing performance to a new level. 

Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 7:16pm
Hmm...

Capacitor discharge rate is an exponential decay. Rate of loss of charge is fastest at the start of power down and the Time constant of the circuit = RC, the product of resistance and capacitance. I think if the power down duration is short, say less than 15 seconds, the time taken to restore the 99.999% (asymptote) of charge won't be very long, maybe a few minutes?? I'm just guessing. Take what I say with a pinch of salt.

Put it this way: the quantity of charge that was lost will not return as quickly as it left. It is probably a reciprocal time thing, where you invert to find the solution?? 1/4 minute discharge requires 4 minutes charge?? Might not be as simple as that. Graham is the real expert.

Edited by Ash - 13 Sep 2020 at 7:33pm
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Pushpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 11:12pm
Day 4: Had a listening session the afternoon around 97 hourS break in. 

I’m prepared to now say that there is a clear difference between Reflex M with PSU1 and Enigma. There’s more of all the good thing with Enigma. It by no means sounds bad with PSU1. It’s still an amazing phono stage. But now that I am hearing what it can do with Enigma, I’m glad I sprung for it. 

More:
Bass: body and extension. Am hearing the actual notes in a number of bass lines seemingly for first time. 
Resolution of instruments and textures
Realism
Smoothness in highs (peaks that might occasionally slightly hurt my ears now fall just under that threshold)
Coherence to sound
“Tactility of sound” noticeably increased

Notice I say “more” because the Reflex M with PSU1 also has the above qualities. Just less than with Enigma. 

By the way, I can indeed notice it from switching the cord. However, there is a delay when the switch is made until the Enigma kicks in. Maybe 5 seconds?

Played Bob Marley -Survival and holy with Enigma the bass is massive. Switching to PSU1, the sound hollowed out and went back to being more civilized. 

Edited by Pushpaw - 14 Sep 2020 at 11:13pm
Pushpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 9:50pm
Today I received yet another power upgrade to my system: a PS Audio Ultimate Outlet 20 Amp high current version (you can see an interesting review of it here: https://www.stereophile.com/powerlineaccessories/460/index.html).

I had already purchased this secondhand when I came across this thread and ordered the Enigma upgrade. It was a lot cheaper than the Enigma, though new it's a lot closer in price.

This one was well broken in and I plugged my Reflex M (with Enigma) and ULDE (with PSU1) into it. Yep, another upgrade to the sound. It also significantly improves my old technics amplifier when I plug it into the unit. 

These power upgrades really are worth looking into. Now that I'm upgraded on a few fronts, I realized that my current interconnect cables, which I previously viewed as a marginal upgrade and which I paid decently for, actually smear or somehow suppress the high frequency range. This has become very noticeable with my new set up. It makes it feel like I can't quite get to the sound and it annoys me while listening. So I put in my much cheaper Mies cables and everything sounds better, more natural and present. Guess my next upgrade will be a couple of CuSat50 interconnects and/or Lautus.

Another interesting thing: while using the PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, I am getting absolutely no electrical interference even using non-shielded phono cables. I used to get quite a bit of noise depending on how many lights were on in the rooms near the turntable setup.

Edited by Pushpaw - 15 Sep 2020 at 9:58pm
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 11:07pm
Hi David
your are just proving what burning will do (and to your self) I found out that with my Solo and headphones keeping my headphones with a feed from the Solo as they were both new ( I always switch  the Solo to input  an Hr before listening so the headphones are warmed up too) Can't have them on when listening to the speakers well you know that any way
I'm glad your happy
 Jonathan
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 12:35am
I’ve had the Australian loaner Accession MC in my system for nearly three weeks now, while I wait for the delivery of my own. The loaner uses the PSU1 and I think really only hit its peak recently. The improvements over two weeks were easily traceable. My own Accession MC is arriving with the Enigma power supply, and I can’t wait to hear how it develops over the coming weeks to surpass the current performance of the loan unit. 
My hifi equipment shopping is now done, and I’ve made a contract with myself to buy nothing else until my 50th birthday (three years). I’m serious, I wrote it up, printed and framed it. It’s hanging on my bedroom wall where my wife and I both walk past it every day. 
Once I hit 50, the next step will be power. Hopefully a regenerator, and definitely a full suite of power cables. I’ve not heard any of it in my own system, but too many people find them valuable for me to ignore it. The auditioning will start the day I turn 50 (a Thursday). If it turns out I get little benefit, I’ll just but a truckload of new records and a few cases of extravagant wine.
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Pushpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 12:46am
Jonathan, I have to agree. These posts were largely about my experience of break in of the Enigma (and perhaps some break in of me and my ears). They also could confirm for others that someone else had experience of Enigma making a difference to sound with Reflex M, and that it took about 90-100 hrs for benefits to be strongly realized. After all, I could have finished break in and concluded there was no difference at all instead of finding the level of improvement that I found.

Mick, I'm most definitely jealous about your new purchase of an Accession MC! I don't have an MC set-up right now, but am aiming to purchase an Accession MM in the coming months. We'll see how long I make it... I'll be honest, there have been a few tragedies in my family recently and it has all made me think that I should go for the best possible without delay. Who knows how long I will get to listen? Apologies for being morbid, but it is my honest thought process at the moment.

Wow, I have really become a GS convert in only a few months, as I just got my Reflex M in June and my ULDE in August and I already want to go for the top of the line phono stage. I guess after farting around with other products, I finally found something that seems to be of reliable quality.

P******t Debut Carbon, Goldring 1042, GS Accession MM w/Enigma, GS Solo ULDE w/PSU1, Sennheiser HD6XX, Technics SU-800 IA, Castle Knight 1, PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, Lautus & CuSat50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
  Share Topic