FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

PSU1 - Enigma

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author
Bi-wire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi-wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Fatmangolf Fatmangolf wrote:

Belated congratulations Peter from me as a fellow owner of the PSU1 Enigma.
Thanks, Jon. It's been a very worthwhile upgrade and I'm pleased I went ahead with it. I keep finding new subtleties in records I haven't played for a while.
Peter

Satisfied user of: Revelation M, PSU1-Enigma, Solo SRGII and lots of CuSat50
Bi-wire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bi-wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by VinodCrispon VinodCrispon wrote:

Congrats Peter on your Purchase of the PSU-1 Enigma. I bought my Majestic with the Enigma, and my Accession & Elevator Exp with the standard PSU-1, When I tried to play around the Enigma seems to induce a totally different Sonic properties. Definitely best upgrade to any sound system is the Upgrade on the power supply. 
Happy Listening Thumbs Up
Thanks 'VC', I'm enjoying discovering elements of my record collection all over again.

Maybe you've hit the nail on the head in your final sentence. Maybe the power supply is more important than I'd previously given it credit for  -  the Enigma seems to give credence to that notion. Approve
Peter

Satisfied user of: Revelation M, PSU1-Enigma, Solo SRGII and lots of CuSat50
VinodCrispon View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VinodCrispon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 4:40am
Cheers Peter. 
I hereby share a link of how I have installed the Psu1 Enigma. 
1) Due to space constraints, I have to install the PSU on top of my Isotek Power conditioner. 
2) Also the footers used, help to install the unit on a well ventilated space, Away from Source components & also dampen against Chassis Resonance if any.  
Vinod Vincent

Elevator & Accession w PSU-1/ Majestic w Enigma/ Cusat/ Lautus
TT: Amazon 1(Candenza Bronze)
Amp: Accuphase E650
CD/Streamer: OPPO UDP205/CYRUS StreamX2
Speaker: Dynaudio Contour S3.4
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 2:22pm
Hi Vinod,
   Have you tried the Enigma with and without the Isotek? I’m interested to know how much the Isotek helps the Enigma, or if it’s largely unaffected.
All the best,
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
VinodCrispon View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VinodCrispon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 3:56pm
Hi Mick,

How are you? Instead of a simple Yes or No (Which may be of no use for you) I share the reason why I use one and my experience with it. Following is my personal experience (With Isotek Nova) and as you know for any power isolation units please do home trial for a week before you make a call. If you do not hear any difference,Be happy that you have good power source and you do not have to waste your money on one. Smile

Why?
I bought this Unit because I have problem due to noise induced by certain electrical appliances. In my house, the wiring circuit is closer to my Refrigerator and also the Dinning light circuit that uses the dimmer circuit. So I have a trouble, that needs a fix. Hence my try with power conditioner.

Extent of problem:
I was using Audiolab MDAC (Direct to wall), each time the compressor of the refrigerator switches on, My DAC restarts.

Solution:  
I Use the Isotek Nova, which was basically designed for source components hence providing very good Isolation between each distribution. For this reason, I power all my components via this unit.

Isotek For Enigma:
Let me tell you, I tried the Enigma powering the Majestic, in my Study room (without the Isotek), The Enigma direct from the wall was still very good. But I prefer the sound via the Isotek (In my house & my set-up). It does make a audible difference in my set-up, as it provides isolated clean power to all components and also included Surge protection.

What do I get:
Clean isolated power to components.
No noise / Hum / Cross interference with other units or equipment (Perfect Isolation). 
For the above reasons, Every component power supply, Like the Enigma is given a clean base to work with, which I believe is the reason I like the Enigma connected to the Isotek instead direct to wall. 
(Lets me hear my music)

Will it still make difference if you have isolated power Circuit that does not have interference from home appliances? 
This I am not sure because I have not tried it in my house. 

However, Knowing the Design quality & Integrity of GSP units I assume the Enigma should be able to excel well without the additional Power conditioner. The Enigma is by Design is a AC to DC insulated Power supply, which means the DC output wires are isolated from the AC input.

Simple Crude / layman's example of the very good isolation of the AC In & DC out Circuit of the PSU1 Enigma.

Image 1:
- Fluke Voltalert lights-up because it picks the 230V AC Energized Circuit on the ENIGMA - AC In.

Image 2:
- Fluke Voltalert is designed for 90 to 1000VAC, hence on the DC Side it does not light-up. 
- Which is a good indication of the Enigma showing its design prowess. 

https://ibb.co/PjtdDwf
https://ibb.co/kSfGD1K

Probably this is what any good AC to DC is supposed to do. Hence Enigma with its design should be capable of being tolerant to Dirty power in (Due to better isolation), Unfortunately not many are able to achieve this & hence I cannot say the same for other components in my set-up, hence a good power conditioner does it for me & Yes the Enigma via the Isotek is what I prefer in my setup.
Vinod Vincent

Elevator & Accession w PSU-1/ Majestic w Enigma/ Cusat/ Lautus
TT: Amazon 1(Candenza Bronze)
Amp: Accuphase E650
CD/Streamer: OPPO UDP205/CYRUS StreamX2
Speaker: Dynaudio Contour S3.4
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 10:35pm
Thanks, man!
Mick
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
mdnicke2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdnicke2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 3:46am
I really didn’t think I was even going to consider the Enigma as I am already at the very tip top of my budget, but this thread... a raise would be great right about now!
Pro-j X2, Sumiko Moonstone, Cambridge Duo, Cambridge CXA80, KEF LS50
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
  Share Topic