FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

PSU1 - Enigma

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 9:28am
What about Tesla and Faraday, were they witches too??

Whilst being a fundamental force of the understood universe, electromagnetism is a very complex subject. A thorough understanding of it is no simple undertaking. Yet it underpins so much of what we experience and interact with on a daily basis.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 9:28am
OK, it's a fair cop. It is witchcraft (to most). Wink
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 1:43pm
Gold. 
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Bi-wire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi-wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 5:45pm
This is an initial review of the PSU1-Enigma based on just a few days use.

I have just received a PSU1-Enigma on loan from John C to try with my Revelation M. I have been intrigued by the idea of the Enigma since Graham announced it some time ago but assumed that it would be of little benefit to me. After all, I was more than happy with my Revelation M and PSU1, and anyway, the Enigma seemed to be aimed at Accession MC users. More recently, however, a number of forum members have commented on using the PSU1-Enigma with products other than the Accession, including the Reflex to which my Revelation is closely related. An itch was developing that I needed to scratch!

I should clarify that the pointy end of my system comprises a Dynavector low output MC, stepped-up through a Rothwell MCL SUT and then to the Revelation M with PSU1. The arrival at this combination of components was something of an (irrelevant) accident but it is a system that has served me well for nearly 10 years and with which I would happily continue. That said, however, is there more to be had? I used to work in an area where much effort went into trying to get that extra 0.1% performance out of something given the right set of conditions. I guess that the current term is 'marginal gains'. So, does the PSU1-Enigma provide a marginal gain over the standard PSU? Is it possible to squeeze that extra bit of performance from my Revelation through the use of a different power supply?

Well, the PSU1-Enigma arrived a couple of days ago. On inspection it looks much like the standard item, well-made, hefty. The most obvious difference is the DC cable connector and the fact that the DC cable is a rather snazzy affair, sheathed not unlike the CuSat-50 I use throughout my system. Time to start testing.

I've never been very good at A/B comparison type tests, fearing that I won't be properly objective and already biased towards what I want regardless of the evidence. That said, in the first instance I decided to concentrate on 3 records that would cover a range of styles, which I would play on the existing set-up and then again on the set-up incorporating the PSU1-Enigma. Beyond that, I would play as much as possible across my record collection just to see what I felt about the new set-up.

First step, power up the Enigma and leave it to warm up. While this was warming I played the 3 records using my existing system to remind myself what they are like. They represent a cross section of music and are good recordings, something that will put a system through its paces. After this re-familiarisation I changed over the PSUs and left the Enigma again to settle for a couple of hours. Then I played the 3 records again. 

I had to remind myself that it is the Revelation that is doing the work, as before but, is the PSU1-Enigma allowing that extra bit of performance to be squeezed out of it? Well, initial thoughts  -  there isn't a night and day difference and, to be fair, I'd have been shocked if there was but, there was something. There was definitely a reduction in background noise from the already very low to the almost non-existent. Beyond that though .... hmmm... time to leave it to settle in. 

It's a couple of days since I drafted the above paragraph and I've just played my test records again, along with several other records. There's definitely something in this. The sound stage is that little bit wider with much more clearly defined depth, front to back. On a symphonic piece, for example, the positioning of the brass and woodwind relative to the strings was clear to 'see'. This is looking (sounding) very positive and over the next few days I shall explore more in the hope of reaching a conclusion by next week. More then and sorry to ramble if you've got this far!

Edited by Bi-wire - 26 May 2020 at 5:46pm
Peter

Satisfied user of: Revelation M, PSU1-Enigma, Solo SRGII and lots of CuSat50
Bi-wire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bi-wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 3:30pm
It's been a couple of weeks since I started my trial of a PSU1-Enigma with my Revelation M and it just keeps getting better and better. I was slightly worried after the first few days that I might be convincing myself that there was an improvement in sound quality that wasn't really there but reversion to the standard PSU1 convinced me that there is a difference.

Let me be clear, the Revelation with the standard PSU1 has been a more than capable performer for a number of years, providing levels of fidelity and detail that had been lacking from earlier devices and which, when I introduced it, I didn't realise I'd been missing, but the PSU1-Enigma adds that extra something  -  a higher fidelity still, I suppose. It's a small difference  -  an improved precision in the origin of the sounds that make up the music; the placing of instruments, the width and depth of the sound stage, a bass note deep but clean, a dying note seeming to float in the air above the 'speakers, if you will, and more  -  but it is a meaningful difference. 'Precision' is the word that comes to my mind but that doesn't mean that the sound is clinical or sterile. It's enveloping and engaging and ... precise. Clearly this is a capability that resides within the Revelation but perhaps the PSU1-Enigma is allowing it to show its best.

Not surprisingly perhaps, I have committed myself to the PSU1-Enigma. As a bonus, my standard PSU1 has found a new home powering my Solo SRGII, which had previously used a basic power supply. There is a clear improvement there! Win-win, I believe is the phrase.

Finally, let me add my thanks to John C for his help in this process. I know I'm probably preaching to the converted on this forum but Graham and John are a pleasure to deal with.

Peter

Satisfied user of: Revelation M, PSU1-Enigma, Solo SRGII and lots of CuSat50
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 9:12pm
Belated congratulations Peter from me as a fellow owner of the PSU1 Enigma.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
VinodCrispon View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VinodCrispon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 11:27am
Congrats Peter on your Purchase of the PSU-1 Enigma. I bought my Majestic with the Enigma, and my Accession & Elevator Exp with the standard PSU-1, When I tried to play around the Enigma seems to induce a totally different Sonic properties. Definitely best upgrade to any sound system is the Upgrade on the power supply. 
Happy Listening Thumbs Up
Vinod Vincent

Elevator & Accession w PSU-1/ Majestic w Enigma/ Cusat/ Lautus
TT: Amazon 1(Candenza Bronze)
Amp: Accuphase E650
CD/Streamer: OPPO UDP205/CYRUS StreamX2
Speaker: Dynaudio Contour S3.4
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
  Share Topic