FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

PSU1 - Enigma

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 2:08pm
Dear Mick,

Worry ye not!
I only have a Reflex M and a Solo SRG II, so I'll not be trying the PSU1-Enigma on any other kit.

You could sell the kids Wink

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 2:26pm
Parting shot - I'm currently listening to Frank Zappa and The Mothers epic from 1972, The Grand Wazoo, and there is hitherto unheard detail in abundance.
Interplay between musicians is highlighted, as is the individual musical brilliance of those players.

The PSU1-Enigma just supplies DC into the equipment, so there's no EQ modification taking place (as you could do with an amplifier), so it has to be Witchcraft!
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 10:02pm
He’s a witch? Burn him!
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 8:45am
Basic circuit laws apply to all circuits. An amplifier or preamplifier is a circuit. It will behave such that it complies with these laws of nature.

All circuits require an electro-motive force to operate. Thevenin's Theorem states that "Any linear circuit containing several voltages and resistances can be replaced by just one single voltage in series with a single resistance connected across the load."

(Think: battery, switch, load)

Ohm's law, with the help of Kirchhoff's Current and Voltage Laws, makes it impossible to deny that signal current flows from the circuit's power source, round the circuit, back to its power source.

No current can flow until this is established (think: on-off switch).

The current requirements of a particular signal at the moment cannot happen until it can return to its source. If anything impedes that, those requirements cannot exist in the same way, to begin with.

Therefore, signal current "flows back up the power supply".

What can it flow back up? Answer: an electro-motive force, which you can think of as a storage of energy, such as a battery or other charge storage device. In a mains power supply, all things being equal are the reservoir capacitor or bank of reservoir capacitors.

It is challenging to comprehend current flowing in what might seem the wrong direction, but the definition: "an electric current is a flow of electric charge around a circuit," and the realisation that the energy storage device holds a charge, might help.

The charge is, therefore, depleted, which means the "moment in time" signal current, is, through equilibrium, returned to its source.

What characteristics do energy storage devices have, which might impede (or even "assist") signal current flow?

Those characteristics will determine how "well" a particular signal current is allowed to flow. In other words, some part of the signal current will be changed (or unchanged) depending on the characteristics of the energy storage device(s).

In comparing one energy storage device to another, in this case, powering a circuit with an audible outcome, will it be possible to hear a difference?
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 8:57am
EMF or electromotive force is a voltage where charge is gaining energy.

A potential difference is a voltage where charge is losing energy.

(According to my old A-level book)
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 9:13am
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

EMF or electromotive force is a voltage where charge is gaining energy.

A potential difference is a voltage where charge is losing energy.

(According to my old A-level book)

Please take my explanation in context. Wink

(I am trying to disprove I am a witch)

Edited by Graham Slee - 18 May 2020 at 9:14am
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 9:21am
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Please take my explanation in context. Wink

(I am trying to disprove I am a witch)

There is but a simple test, outlined here .....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic