FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Blade View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 3:49pm
thanks Tony - Im aware of the burn in. Im not making any conclusions yet !
L*nn Sondek LP12, AT VM750SH MM, Graham Slee Reflex M with PSU1 , Musical Fidelity M5SI, Dynaudio Special 40
Bazzaah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bazzaah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 8:10am
Thanks for the replies!

I'll get on the loan programme. 

Is there a way i can  look at specifications and get an idea about performance?

BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 10:44am
I take it that you've looked here: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/phono-preamps/
There's some interesting reading in Graham's Blog, just click the link at the top of the page.

Happy Reading and listening when you get your loan phono.
Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Bazzaah Bazzaah wrote:

Thanks for the replies!

I'll get on the loan programme. 

Is there a way i can  look at specifications and get an idea about performance?

The page for each model should have full specs. 

For example: 

One thing to keep in mind is that sometimes specs like S/N are listed as unweighted specs in these listings. For example, the Reflex M says noise is -68dB. That's an unweighted spec. The A-weighted spec is more like -78dB. Most companies never list the unweighted spec. 

The other thing is that some manufacturers do not adequately test their products under real world conditions or they play games with specs. That doesn't happen with GS products. 

Before I had the Reflex I had a few different phono preamps from other brands. One of them claimed an 82dB+ S/N ratio. Yet it practice it was quite noisy and the unit was susceptible to RFI/EMI. I had to get rid of it for that reason. 

Edited by patientot - 07 May 2020 at 12:59pm
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 2:07pm
Agreed on the specs, with Graham what you see is what you get. The acid test is listening though, specs only tell a part of the story. It's necessary to know sensitivities, etc to understand that it will match your other equipment.
My first GS phono was a Fanfare and what a surprise that was, groove noise, pops and clicks magically disappeared into the background and instruments I'd not heard clearly before were placed precisely within the expansive soundstage. A whole new experience that the specs hadn't given me a clue about! The recommendations on this forum were what brought me to purchase my first of Grahams products and I would hope that my contributions over the years have helped others discover how good they are. And just where else do you get the chance to listen in your own home for a week or so at only the cost of the postage.

Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic