FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bazzaah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bazzaah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommendations
    Posted: 03 May 2020 at 11:30pm
Hey there

I am looking to buy a new phono stage.

I'm looking for something that will improve on what I have in my TEAC A-H500i amp. I bought a Rega Fono but it's not appreciably better than what's in the amp. I have a Rega P3 deck with an Audio Technica VM540ML.

Not sure where to aim. Gram 2 with the PSU or the next one up?

Any thoughts or ideas would be most welcome
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 12:00am
My decision was the ERA Gold V when I moved away from a phono built into my NAD amp several years ago. No regrets.

Each step up in price through the range gives improvement.
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub
Blade View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 9:41am
Ive got a Planar 3 with an Exact cartridge and have just upgraded from the Brio inbuilt phono stage to the Gram Amp2 SE. Its only been 3 days so still evaluating.

Will let you know over the next week.

Glenn
L*nn Sondek LP12, AT VM750SH MM, Graham Slee Reflex M with PSU1 , Musical Fidelity M5SI, Dynaudio Special 40
DT999 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DT999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 12:43am
I have a Rega P3 that I ran through a Rega Fono into an Rega Elex-r; I tried a GSP Reflex-M on a loan trial and didn't look back, provided to be significant upgrade over the Fono. 

If you can why not try the different models through the loan scheme and see what you prefer.
Rega Planar 3 > Accession MM / Thorens TD160 > Reflex M > Modwright LS100 tube preamp > Solo ULDE / Proprius > Monitor Audio Silver 500 / 2 x SVS SB1000 subwoofers
Cyreg View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cyreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Bazzaah Bazzaah wrote:

......Not sure where to aim. Gram 2 with the PSU or the next one up?
Any thoughts or ideas would be most welcome

Since 2 years now, I do use a GramAmp2 Communicator with PSU1 with great pleasure Smile
It combines very good with my Michell/RB250 setup with a Nagaoka MP110 cart
...but as always, it's also about synergy of the complete stereo setup!!

(I've used several other MM GSP phonoamps in different stereo setups through the last 12 years)

Absolutely a not-so-common combination to try out Wink
TecnoDec/RB250/MP110>GramAmp2C/PSU1; Cyrus CD8SE; Cyrus FM7 > Exposure XXXV > Harbeth C7ES-3 '35th Anniversary'
cabling: IC 3x DNM V3; LScable Exposure DMF-two; Furu TP60 + MWaY and AH! powercords   
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 2:39pm
I would recommend the loan program to figure out what model is best for you. Maybe pick one that is within your budget and then the next model up that is a little bit of a stretch and see how you like both. Good luck. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by Blade Blade wrote:

Ive got a Planar 3 with an Exact cartridge and have just upgraded from the Brio inbuilt phono stage to the Gram Amp2 SE. Its only been 3 days so still evaluating.

Will let you know over the next week.

Glenn

Glenn, if your G2SE is brand new, it may take another couple of weeks of power on time before you can fully appreciate what it has to offer; so try not to allow yourself to make too quick a judgement.

For the OP, the loan program is the way to find which is best for you. 
Like another poster earlier, I too went from a NAD built in stage to the Era Gold V.
I doubt you will be disappointed whichever you choose.
Tony G
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic