FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Majestic configuration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
300BGB View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300BGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Majestic configuration
    Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 8:16pm
Hi everyone,

As I endure this special time and reflect on stuff I have developed an urge to dip my toe (or maybe my whole leg) back into the Graham Slee pond!Wink

This happened a few years back which ended with an Accession MM preamp. So I'm treading cautiously knowing this could be expensive.

I was messing about with my current setup and dropped in an old transistor power amp I had in the loft and wow, my setup had bass!

My main set-up is Accession straight into tube 300B PP mono-blocks driving high efficiency Omega speakers (the amps are set for around 6 watts).

So to get to the chase, I was thinking a Majestic and Proprius amps might be the way to go.

1.  I have CDs and I have a NAS  so how are you Majestic owners getting to your stored music and piping through the Majestic?

2. Also, what is the highest resolution audio file that can be played and is being played by user?

3. And what is the collective view on long interconnects vs long speaker cable?

Hope you can put me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Brian

PS I am going to borrow the parts on the loan scheme)

Thanks,
Brian

300BGB View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300BGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 3:59pm
I guess my earlier post didn't get much traction Embarrassed However, I now have had the chance to try both the Majestic and Proprius amps, so just my experiences with both and the loan scheme in general:

I contacted John who couldn't have been more accommodating in getting the kit to me as quickly as possible £18 for shipping and a few days later they arrived.
I immediately put them onto my stand connected them up and switched them on. I thought I'd give them the recommended 3 days to warm up and after the second day I had to give them a try.

Well I'm not in any way a professional listener, no training in that area and I know I'm "speaking to the choir" so my first impressions, as the farmer says after Babe rounds up the sheep perfectly, "That'll do pig"

I compared the Majestic against an old DAC that was more expensive than the Majestic is today many years ago and the Majestic was better.  
I tried it against my old Naim CD5 player and the Majestic was better.  
I then got my laptop and went over to Amazon Music and played over the USB connection and yes it sounds good. 
I tried it with the analogue input from my record deck and yes it's sounds good.  
So all in all I found the Majestic to just work and sound good!! Clap

Now over to the Proprius amps.  These are small and I do like the volume pot on the front.  I set the Majestic to near 0db on its volume pot and then backed off the Proprius amps to above the level I normally listen to and then lowered the majestic to comfort level.
They sound great, no problem driving my 98db Omega speakers Wink  

I compared them to my 300b A/B valve amps and I would say they have a touch lower bass and they are easier to live with.
I compared them with my Arcam 8p power amp and they seemed to be clearer and more detailed?

So on balance the Majestic was for me a very capable piece of kit that I could easily live with. The Proprius amps just did a very good job and again I could easily live with.  

If I could only have one, it was the amps that impressed me the mostClap

So, after 2 weeks of the loan period (and 12 days of listening) I contacted John and again, no fuss, sent me the return shipping label and the kit was collected and returned for another £18. 

Great service, great value for money and a great experience all round. Many thanks to John and Graham Slee Audio!Star

Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 10:00pm
Hi Brian,
   Yes, it all just works, Russ free and in an engaging way. For me, the real value when I added the Proprius and Majestic in my system was that I ended up listening to more music. Gone was the fatigue I felt when listening to long stretches of digital playback.i also stopped listening to what the system was doing and instead either enjoyed the music, enjoyed the various production values of albums, or both. 
Cheers,
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
300BGB View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300BGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 8:19am
Hi Mick,

I agree with you, I think that many GS products are just " job done" and now get on with something else!

Having said that we seem to be entering the " better PSU" phase just to keep the upgrade itch satisfied. 
I wonder what's next in the development plan.. cables - tick,. PSU - tick,
I guess we could go to an exotic parts upgrade path?Wink

It would be good to see some measurements as I think we could explore how well does something have to measure to sound good?

Brian

Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 8:48am
Once you have a Majestic-Proprius system with an Enigma PSU1, Lautus/Libran/Spatia interconnects and a worthy headphone/speaker for it, all powered up longterm, the only further upgrade required is more music to play on it. If the equipment is sufficient for studio, it is sufficient for anything. A DSP device like miniDSP can be used to make fine adjustments to frequency response if it does not already meet personal taste. If you're not already satisfied with the system performance by this point, it is surely the speaker or headphone that is to blame.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 9:16am
Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

Once you have a Majestic-Proprius system with an Enigma PSU1, Lautus/Libran/Spatia interconnects and a worthy headphone/speaker for it, all powered up longterm, the only further upgrade required is more music to play on it. If the equipment is sufficient for studio, it is sufficient for anything. A DSP device like miniDSP can be used to make fine adjustments to frequency response if it does not already meet personal taste. If you're not already satisfied with the system performance by this point, it is surely the speaker or headphone that is to blame.

Or in the case of speakers, it could be room acoustics.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Originally posted by Ash Ash wrote:

Or in the case of speakers, it could be room acoustics.

Couldn't agree more. With speakers the room should be viewed as another system component. It can be quite an education if you take acoustic measurements.
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic